Bad experince with marina service, done with them, need help.

genesis78

Cadet
Hello all, here is a bit of back story about the trouble I have had with my local marina service and a question about what to do next. This is long but the history to the problem is important to the current state of it and I could really use some help. Thank you.

I have a 1988 Wellcraft Classic 190 with a 165hp inline 6 cyc Mercruiser and Gen one Alpha one out drive. At the beginning of the season, I found my impeller pump shot, one of my wife's friend's father showed me how to replace it, since then that works fine. So I put it in the water and find that when I put it in gear it dies. The mechanic at the service department of the marina where I have purchased a season launch pass come over and said that the interrupt switch was engaging when putting it into gear and the shift cable needed to be replaced.

I asked how much to fix it and he told me "no more than $300". So I said fix it. He called me mid week and said that it was replaced but he found fishing line had destroyed one of the shaft seals and needed to be replaced, $135. I said ok fix that too then. A day later he called and said it was "ready for the water". So I showed up expecting to pay around $435 for the repair + tax on parts etc. The bill was $616....after much debate it was decided that the mechanic made a mistake and claimed 4 hours of labor when it should have been 3. I pressed on that the bill that is now $515 is not the "less than 300" plus $135 that I was quoted. The mechanic then called me a liar and said that he never said less than $300. I got the marina owner involved and after some more debate he said that there is no way that is what the mechanic quoted me but since there were no actual written quote that I was provided with for the work he would agree to take the bill down to $450. I paid it, thanked him and said that I would just ask for a written quote from now on.

So I launch the boat and things seem fine. I am in forward most of the afternoon but when I go to dock at a small pier to get some food, I find that it is almost impossible to get into neutral and to find that I have to go past neutral into forward and fuss with it a lot to get into neutral, when it does pop out of forward or reverse it is a very rough shift and I can hear the gears slamming out of gear hard. The service is closed for the night and the owner gone home, so I once again left the boat at the marina for the night.

Called the next morning and explained that something wasn't right, and described the problem. The owner is noticeably not happy to speak with me about it and kind of angeraly says that it is normal that the cable to needs to be adjusted once in the water. I thought to myself, if this is normal, why was it not tested in the water before it was released back to the owner? But I kept my tongue and asked when it would be ready, I was told Monday, the service department is closed on the weekends...Which is odd because when I had the original problem and was quoted the less than $300 to fix it by the mechanic..was on a Saturday....Fine, whatever.

Monday comes (yesterday) sure enough the mechanic calls, all fixed, ready for the water. I asked what he had to do and he said "adjust the cable, adjust the interrupt switch and bring up the idle". Adjusting the idle speed seemed odd as it was fine the last two seasons I owned it but, he is the mechanic, not me. I thanked him and hang up.

That night I drop it in the water (after work and hence after service is closed) and start it, it is idleing at 1200 rpm! I put it in reverse, SLAM!, back out of the dock way to fast but it is as slow and I can go! Pop into neutral, I go into forward, SLAM! I was creating a small wake in a no wake zone and passing slipped boats waaay to fast but it was as slow as I could go.... Get out of the no wake zone and for the life of me I can't understand why he turned the idle up so fast, it is causing it to jam really hard into gear. I pop the engine cover off and turn the idle screw back down to a about 1000. Shifts into gear much much nicer, like it always has before all of this started. The problem is that now when giving gas from idle to go forward if I don't slowly ease it on feathering it, the engine dies. It never did this before, this explains why he had the idle cranked up but that is a ridiculous fix from a mechanic at a marina.

Next the interrupt switch seems like it is engaging for a long time, it really seems like the engine is going to die and catches at the last second when shifting gears. You can very eaisly notice the engine stop running when you shift gears and it seems like if it was a fraction long the engine would not recover. Maybe this is how it is supposed to work but previous seasons I never even knew the switch existed and don't remember even noticing the engine did anything at all when I shifted out of gear. Finally, it still doesn't go into neutral right. It is better than it was but not like it was before this all started.

I use to be able to just flick the shifter back until it clicked and it was straight up and down and I was in neutral every time. Not I have to pull it back to up and down with some force and then I have pull back hard (without the handle button pushed in, not the button that disengages the drive but the one on the handle that allows you to shift it out of neutral), I have to not engage that button so I don't go into reverse and pull back hard against the reverse position stopper until I hear the engine change tone and then I know I am in neutral If I just flick past where it "clicks" to straight up and down and that is it, half the time I am still in gear even though the shifter is in the neutral position. This makes docking....interesting, not to mention if I try to go from forward to reverse and give it some gas to stop myself when docking, it stands about a 50/50 chance of killing the engine unless I put it back to idling at 1200 RPM like the mechanic had it but that cause it to shift very harshly as you can imagine and the idle speed is way to fast for a no wake zone were you have to weave through boats.

So....at this point, the wife and I decided we could complain again to the service department but they only have one mechanic and he doesn't seem to know what he is doing and has just dumb fixes for things, the owner is also not very happy with us by now so we have a fear that they are going to just sabotage to boat or something to charge us more money if we bring it back and complain again, we are at the point where we are just done with them.

I think the issue with turning the idle down to something respectable and then it dieing when given gas at more than a sipping pace is related to the carb. Is that correct? I don't understand why it is doing it becaues it never did it last season (we paid the marina to winterize it as well last season) but regardless, it is doing it now. Any idea's on what I could do to get the shifter to reliably pop into neutral like it should? Is this a normal experience with marina service departments?

We are about out of money for the time being so another service department is kind of out of the question. Please help!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bad experince with marina service, done with them, need help.

I was not aware that Merc had an inline six as late as '88, are you sure you are correct?.....
I would start by adjusting the idle to 750 out of gear....
& properly adjusting the shift cable as outlined in Merc manual #6....
If you can't do the work yourelf, I suggest hiring a mobile mechanic.....;)

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would go back to the marina and politely explain to the owner what?s happening. Even if it?s not true I would tell them that you have always been happy with their work and you understand everybody has their bad days. Express to them that you are not here to raise *ell but just want your boat to operate like it should. If they fix it correctly thank them and never use them again. If they don?t do what they said they were going to do, then you raise *ell. Hopefully you don?t have to take them to court as that will just require time and more money.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Agree with Bubba 100%

They would never touch the boat again.
Sounds like the shift cable and shift interupt is still way out of adjustment.
The idle even at 1000 rpm is still way to high.

Find another marina or shop to fix it right.

Jorgy

Cadet

If you can't do the work yourelf, I suggest hiring a mobile mechanic.....;)

I'm brand new to this scene and was fortunate enough to find a really cool mobile mechanic in my area. I explained to him that I was relatively handy around car engines but was just a little intimidated by the subtle nuances in the marine engine and outdrive. I asked politely if he minded if I looked over his shoulder a little and stayed out of his way. When he finished, I gave him a pretty good tip on top of his parts and labor and he was appreciative and said it was no problem. I can't say this would be the case for any mechanic, but if your willing to show your appreciation, you can learn a ton.

Between him and this forum, I'm feeling really good about my bargain boating :D

The manuals posted here are an amazing resource.

Adam

genesis78

Cadet

Thank you very much for the advice everyone. I think I am going to contact a more responsible service vendor. I have a bass pro shop near me, maybe I will give them a call and find out what their fee is to diagnose the issue with the engine dieing when trying to accelerate from an idle when the idle is turned down that what it is supposed to be and I think I will try to adjust the shift cable myself this weekend on the lake. I am not very mechanically inclined but I figure I certainly can't mess it up more than it is now by trying to adjust the cable. I am assuming that since someplace like bass pro is a widely known dealer that their mechanics actually know what they are doing or are certified in some way.

Is that a good assumption? Any one have any opinions or experience with bass pro's service?

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I were you, I'd learn to do it myself. I did, and the knowledge I gained has helped me see into the system a lot better.

It's not hard. Use the manual, and do a search for shifting problems on this site, there is lots of info...just about everybody with an old boat has had this problem.

My experience is that it takes a final 'on the water' adjustment. I have no idea why it wasn't done...they are probably too cheap to do it right the first time.

Really, it sounds to me like they routed the cable poorly or damaged it while installing it. If it were me, I'd:

1) Pull the drive (Easy, 6 nuts)
2) Disconnect the drive side cable at the cuttout switch assembly. Make sure it moves SMOOTHLY and EASILY. If not, demand your money back from the jokers at the marina because no amount of adjusment will get it to work right
3) If it's ok, reconnect and adjust as per the manual.
4) Test it on land with a helper by having them spin the prop in the reverse direction and shift into forward. When does it catch? Do the same for reverse. The drive should not catch at all while in neutral.
5) Fine tune when in the water

Chay

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i'm more than willing to give your first marina the benefit of the doubt till i hear there side of the story
you had to have the leg off to change the impeller in the first place and messed up something. you want someone to cleal up your mess at a discount price and get mad when he cant do it in your time constrants

get a manual and do it yourself. youll find it isnt as cut and dried to fix this older stuff and when you mess up youll be able learn from your mistake and move on

QC

Supreme Mariner

I might agree jaxn if it wasn't for the 1200 RPM idle. UNSAFE, stupid, wrong, lazy, pizz poor etc. etc. etc.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I might agree jaxn if it wasn't for the 1200 RPM idle. UNSAFE, stupid, wrong, lazy, pizz poor etc. etc. etc.

Exactly!!

I would never let one go with the idle like that...And i am just a mobile service mechanic.
I also encourage my customers to watch the work being done so they can learn something.I get some owners who really appreciate that and they do tip once in awhile.
I figure if i taught them something thats great!

Instead of Bass Pro i would look for a smaller Mercruiser dealer...

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

sorry guys if he started it and ran it like it that then............

guy with a rant????????

i still hold out for the whole story before i condem any one or go so far to call someone a liar

i still think if he's short on cash he should get the manuale and do it his self

and gary when the interupt micro switch quit on my alpha 1 this spring, other than a slight adjustment bending the arm there isnt any adjustment.

i had to buy the new updated shift plate and change to the new style switch as the micro switch wasnt serviced any longer by mercuriser.

i dont rember the new style switch having any adjustment.

all you can adjust is the cables

not sure what your talking about

genesis78

Cadet

i'm more than willing to give your first marina the benefit of the doubt till i hear there side of the story
you had to have the leg off to change the impeller in the first place and messed up something. you want someone to cleal up your mess at a discount price and get mad when he cant do it in your time constrants

get a manual and do it yourself. youll find it isnt as cut and dried to fix this older stuff and when you mess up youll be able learn from your mistake and move on

Um...what are you talking about? First you say I "had to have the leg off to change the impeller in the first place and messed something up" Yes you do have to seperate the lower unit from the upper to change the impeller but how does that mean I "had to mess it up"? I am not saying I didn't, as far as I know I was shown the correct way to do it but that doesn't mean it is not possible that I did cause this problem. That being the case shouldn't the service department have let me know that something was a miss when they took it apart to replace the cable and seal?

Secondly, I never asked the marina to "clean up my mess". I never created one that I am aware of. The boat died when I put it in gear, the service department walked over to me as I was floating in their ramp and offered to have a look at it then offered to fix it and I agreed. How is that a mess? Also I never asked for a "discount price" I just wanted to pay what I was told I would need to pay. If I had been quoted $600 to begin with, I would have took so more thought but in the end, if I did agree to that price and paid that price, I would still expect a working result

Thirdly, what time constraints did I put on it? The first time the had it, it took them a total of 5 days to fix, this was their time frame...not mine. Then when I left it over night at the marina and called back again the next morning, (a weekend) to let them know it was still not working right, the called the following Monday afternoon to tell me it was fixed again. I never put any time constraint on when I need the boat repaired in and I am not sure where you got that from. If you are referring to my comment about the shop being closed on weekends, I just said that I thought it was odd because when I had the original problem, the mechanic was there on a Saturday, diagnosed the problem on a Saturday and was in fact working on another boat when I followed him into the shop where he made me the oral quote.

genesis78

Cadet

sorry guys if he started it and ran it like it that then............

guy with a rant????????

i still hold out for the whole story before i condem any one or go so far to call someone a liar

i still think if he's short on cash he should get the manuale and do it his self

and gary when the interupt micro switch quit on my alpha 1 this spring, other than a slight adjustment bending the arm there isnt any adjustment.

i had to buy the new updated shift plate and change to the new style switch as the micro switch wasnt serviced any longer by mercuriser.

i dont rember the new style switch having any adjustment.

all you can adjust is the cables

not sure what your talking about

Ran it like what??? I started the thing after unloading it from my trailer on the ramp, I then put it in reverse where I found that it was running way to fast due to the really hard shift. At that point I was already half way through a three point turn and headed in reverse way to fast toward a dock. I had no choice but to switch to forward to keep from slamming into the dock at what seemed like 15mph due to it idling way to fast. So at that point I had a choice, turn left and negotiate the no wake zone to head out to the lake and turn the idle down on open water or turn right and attempt to redock at the ramp at a clip fast enough to make a small wake....I choose open water rather than smashing my hull on the concrete ramp or grinding metal trying to change gears at 1200rpm again....I really had no other choice, I could not just shut it down I would have slammed backwards into the dock if I just shut it off. I then turned the idle down once I was in open water.

Are you angry or something? You say you are holding out for the "whole story" That's pretty much it, I thought it was lengthy as it is but there isn't anything else to say about it. If you are "holding out" for the marina mechanic's take on what happened, there are in fact two sides to every story, but I am pretty sure he is not going to come track down my post here an join us in the conversation, so your going to have to accept my side if you want to comment on it or you are going to be waiting a really long time for the bits you think are missing.

Anyway, thank you all for your very useful advice. Based on it, I am going to try to adjust the shift cable myself this weekend on the lake using the suggested manual, if that is successful and I still have a problem with the engine dying when trying to accelerate I will seek assistance from a bass pro shop or another mercruiser shop if I can find one for whatever the problem is there and ask for a quote to make it right (in writing this time) as I am very interested to know from a professional's view why the motor started behaving this way after the mechanic this season replaced shift cable felt that the idle speed needed to be increased so much.

I will let you know the results if anyone is interested.

Capt.T

Cadet

Dump this marina mechanic, get a manual and fix it yourself, or take your chances with another marine mechanic.
Sounds like this mechanic has no idea what he is doing, which is unfortunately common in the business. After many years of boating, I have found that it's just as easy to fix problems yourself rather that trust someone who is just out to get your money.

Good luck with your repair.........

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

Are you angry or something? You say you are holding out for the "whole story" That's pretty much it, I thought it was lengthy as it is but there isn't anything else to say about it. If you are "holding out" for the marina mechanic's take on what happened, there are in fact two sides to every story, but I am pretty sure he is not going to come track down my post here an join us in the conversation, so your going to have to accept my side if you want to comment on it or you are going to be waiting a really long time for the bits you think are missing.

no not angry in the least. not ready to condem the marina on your say so.
there are two sides to every story and my take on yours is, you have a ax to grind with the marina. untill i could hear both sides for myself i wont condem them. it seems to me your first post was aimed at ranting about them as much as getting your boat going

if you started your boat and didnt warm it up and check it out before you backed it off the trailer then blame me, the guy that worked on it, his boss, and every one else you can think of. you knew you were having problems so in my mind it would have been wise to test the shifting with the leg in the water enough to run but still tied down just to keep from happening what did. it was your call to run it off the trailer without testing.

and the shift interupt switch isnt for shifting in to gear its only for shifting out of gear
on my 165 the shift plate in on the transom but my alpha its on the motor. as someone else mentioned, i dont rember the 165 I 6 being used that late but it dosnt matter as you need to get it going
go to the adults only section and there is a lot of information you can use. i wish you the best of luck getting your boat running.
the deal with the marina is what it is. forget that and move on
slamming them here isnt going to get your boat going any faster and in the end they very well could be good guys too.

genesis78

Cadet

Deleted, not worth discussing further with you as it's not related to the mechanical problem any more. Don't want to derail the thread.

genesis78

Cadet

Update:

I contacted a Mercruiser shop by the lake where I boat and got in contact with another mechanic and explained my history and current problem. He told me that both my current shift issues and the motor dying with given a good amount of gas off of idle are both likely do to a the misadjusted shift cable. He claims he can fix it tonight for a pretty respectable price (under $100) and can do any further adjustments on the lake with me at no further cost if needed when I take it out this weekend. He said he might need to pull the drive again but I can watch and learn if I want to. Sounds like a great plan to me but does it make sense to anyone else that the engine would be dying when applying more than just a little bit of fuel to come up from idling to accelerate due to a misadjusted shift cable?

In terms of the order of events it logically makes sense to me because the problem started just after the previous mechanic "readjusted" the shift cable but does it make any mechanical sense?

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you may be on the right track finally. If he wants a little extra to make sure the points,dwell and timing are set correctly (which he will have to do to get a good steady idle) pay him. Shops hire and fire all the time. Resumes can be padded and people can talk a good game. Best I found is to talk around a little and see if you can get a reference. Good mech's are out there and worth their weight in gold. A marina won't want a clown around very long as the rep will spread and cost them business.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

It makes a world of sense if the shift cable is binding. If it's binding, it won't just cause the problem when shifting into or out of gear. Anywhere it binds, the switch will activate, killing the engine.

Chay