Question on 1987 Johnson 28 HP SPL

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1987 Johnson 28 hp SPL outboard. It has a fuel leak and I'm looking for a replacement part to fix it. Problem is, I dont know anything about outboard engines. Can anyone tell me what this thing is?

0613092000.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Question on 1987 Johnson 28 HP SPL

Here's a farther away shot of the same thing.

0613092000a.jpg

Thanx for your help in advance!!!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey! Anybody?? I thot this question would get answered in a couple min with all the outboard genius's on here.:D

I imagine it's not hard...I tried finding engine diagrams that would show what the part is but dint have success. One time I know I was on a site that had all the parts listed out including replacement cowlings and decals with a diagram of the engine "exploded", but I cant figure out where it was.

blared

Cadet

That would be your Electric primer system..part # 0397909/ Solenoid Assy Primer...for the whole thing, about $163.09 from Evinrude. Good luck :)... keep us posted.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

singinout, you post something at midnite, be patient, when you post. it will get answered. they make a kit to fix the leak.

Primer Solenoid
the primer replaced the old choke butterflies in the carborators, pushing in the key activates it, like the old choke plates, but injects fuel directly into the intake.
The red handle is used when your battery is dead, and you have to rope start. You move the handle 180 degrees.
Normal operating position is with the handle back over the body of the solenoid, like in the picture below.

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx guyz!! Thats wat I was after! :) Have to see if that fixes my problem. I'm thinking it's prolly just one of the gaskets or o-rings or something. I'll have to take it apart and look at it.

P.S. Sorry if I sounded impatient for a reply!:redface: When I posted the ? there was like 30 couple ppl on so I thot someone would have a quick idea. I had been looking high and low for whatever it was w/out success. So anyway...thanx again!

fvbg

Recruit

Hey Guys:
I have that same motor, runs great but, when I push the starter switch I just hear a click, and the motor does not start, I have to move the choke lever by hand, and then it fires up real good. Is the automatic choke mechanism not working.?? Or what?s the start up sequence??
Never use a gas motor, just the electric one, small lake. And don't know nothing about gas motors. :D

Last edited:

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Guys:
I have that same motor, runs great but, when I push the starter switch I just hear a click, and the motor does not start, I have to move the choke lever by hand, and then it fires up real good. Is the automatic choke mechanism not working.?? Or what?s the start up sequence??
Never use a gas motor, just the electric one, small lake. And don't know nothing about gas motors. :D

Yeah one of the other guys are gonna have to give their input on it. I just got the outboard this spring and only fired it up like 2 times for a little bit. Mine has remote controls with a key. Im supposing yours must be tiller steer?