Trailier wiring issue

baracus

Recruit
I just purchased a boat and had to rewire the trailer. I have a four pin connector coming off my hitch and I used the four wire kit available at most stores. I duplicated the old wiring but my problem is when I turn on the turn signal both turn signals on the trailer go off, the brake lights dont work at all, the running lights are the only thing that work. White is ground, yellow goes to left turn signal, green to right signal and brown goes to both. Any help would be appreciated.

ericman81601

Recruit
Re: Trailier wiring issue

2 quick checks. disconect and test the vehicle end of the connector with a test light. Hook the test light ground to the white wire. Brown should be running lites only Yellow and green are the combo turn signal / stop and 4 way hazard lites ( Left and right as seperate ) test each all 3 ways. some vehicles need a converter in the trailer wiring system because the vehicle has seperate brake light and turn/hazard circuts. It sounds like someone wired the vehicle wrong. If this all passes muster, then check that all contacts are good and if they are, you have a short in the trailer wire

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailier wiring issue

The quickest way to tell if you need the converter box is....

If your tow vehicle has amber(yellow) turn signal lenses on the rear, then you need the converter box. I had the same issue on my 91 Isuzu Trooper. The only other way to wire it correctly is to install and additional light on the trailer for each turn signal.

Darren