idle, WOT, and adjustments priority help

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok, some good things and some bad. i started to do a link and sync and ended up tinkering with things before i started. originally at WOT i was going only about 24mph. i've been reading the service manual but need to get priority list. i found that at WOT the carbs weren't open all the way, so i adjusted and now it seems like they will at WOT. but...i moved a few adjustments here and there with my newfound confidence and now once i throttle up it doesn't throttle back down. i have to manual move the level down. so here's what i'm thinking...cables(are they shot, they move up but don't seem to go back down when i put the throttle down? i moved the trunnion on it and don't know where they should be), idle adjustment screw(noticed that at idle it wasn't against its stop, moved it but along with other adjustments don't know where it should be as far as screw). i'm assuming i need to start all over. what do i need to adjust first and go down the line? i feel like a took a few steps forward but then took a few steps back. where do i begin?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: idle, WOT, and adjustments priority help

Don't forget to always describe your motor when you post, sometimes I can't even remember what's on my own boat........ ;)

Not sure what you mean by "manual move the level down"? Exactly what are you doing?

3 things happen when you advance the throttle/shift remote control lever -- first it shifts, then the timing advance begins, then the carb throttles start opening. Thottling down, the throttle valves start closing first. Observe closely while a helper operates the controls, see if you can determine what's not happening.

This is what works for me:
The idle stop screw -- I've seen those back themselves out over a long period of time -- should be close to halfway in/halfway out after you get the idle adjusted (not looking for precision here, just so you have room to adjust it one way or the other after you get it in the water). If not, use the trunion to adjust cable length. On the muffs, set your idle 100-150 over what you need it to be, then fine-tune it after launching.

Then adjust the WOT stop screw to where the throttles are horizontal (not beyond).

Unless you've had the flywheel off, or messed with the full throttle timerbase stop screw (up under the flywheel), leave it alone. Otherwise, set the WOT timing using the Joe Reeves procedure in the Engine FAQ section.

Then, adjust the roller within its bracket to make it hit the cam right on the mark.