Shifting Adjustment/Issues

clarky711

Seaman
Greetings,

I have a 1987 Johnson 90HP. I need to adjust the shifting, as it clicks (trying to engage) many times before it actually goes into gear. At that point the RPMs are up so it kinda jumps into gear at the same time. This makes docking and fishing in skinny water a challenge. I have looked in the factory service manual and it doesn't go into this in any depth (dissappointing). Is this as simple as adjusting the cable, or are there other issues going on?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shifting Adjustment/Issues

sounds like all the cables are out of adjustment. disconnect both cable. put a piece of tape on the trottle cable so you can teil which is which. now put control in neutral, fast idle down. motor in neutral and at idle. now adjust each cables trunion nut, so that it goes into the holder and connections, with out moving the motor parts. you adjust cable to motor. not motor to cable.

clarky711

Seaman
Re: Shifting Adjustment/Issues

sounds like all the cables are out of adjustment. disconnect both cable. put a piece of tape on the trottle cable so you can teil which is which. now put control in neutral, fast idle down. motor in neutral and at idle. now adjust each cables trunion nut, so that it goes into the holder and connections, with out moving the motor parts. you adjust cable to motor. not motor to cable.

Thanks for the quick reply, now please bare with me and my questions... It makes sense to adjust the cable to the motor.

So, I start out with the motor in neutral and at idle. What do you mean "fast idle down", shifter in neutral and full throttle?

Do I need to spin the prop in order to determine when it goes from neutral into gear?

Why would I need to disconnect the throttle cable?

Again, sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to have it make sense. I can't believe this isn't in the manual??