Square Zinc's on Evinrude 115 Lower Unit

No Clew?

Cadet
Hi all- I am replacing the zinc fin near the prop as the last owner seems to have painted it. Above the cavitation plate are square holes on each side of LU. I belieive these are for additional zincs, however after tapping on mine they appear to be hollow plastic (and also painted). Question- Are these in fact supposed to be zincs? If so, are they necessary if I have an in-tact zinc fin near the prop?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Square Zinc's on Evinrude 115 Lower Unit

The trim tabs on OMC/BRP motors are painted and need to be kept that way; they are not zinc.

The anode is part #436745 Johnson/Evinrude Cube Zinc Anode A/K/A #393023.

http://boatzincs.com/omc_outboard.html

BTW, the plastic part in place of the anode was for display, it should have been replaced by the dealer at the time of sale; that does not bode well for your engine bolts.

No Clew?

Cadet

Thanks that makes sense. The engine was just mounted on the hull so the new bolts should be ok, however the lower unit has quite a bit of corrosion. I cleaned, JB welded, sanded, primed and painted it last week. It looks pretty good now, I guess i will find out if it holds up.

Do you know if there are any other zincs on this motor? Is there a U-shaped
one on the front of the anti-cavitation plate?

Just ordered the cube zinc, hopefully i can get the trim tab out without breaking the bolt...

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There are horseshoe zincs that were sometimes used, but they mounted on the horizontal surface at the base of the midsection.

The zinc that is usually shot is the one on the bearing carrier inside the gearcase.