The most your boat can give you

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This has a little bit of everything in it. So I hope this is the right spot.
I have a 21' Conquest. Volvo 5.0 with SX drive.
I have read a lot of guys saying put a Dou prop drive on. Financially, not an option for me.
I keep my hull clean and waxed. I keep my props in excellent condition. I keep the engine tuned, valves adjusted, change my fluids twice a year.(I may be a little excessive there, but that's me)
So here is what I am thinking.
I want to get the best performance out of my boat. My wife likes long cruises, my daughter and her friends like to play, and I like to go fast.
So I am looking at smart tabs. Looks like a good, inexpensive tool. I am also going to look at a 4-blade prop. Any thoughts? I have even considered changing to a 4bbl carb. Around 500 bucs I think for the change over. Also, what about changing the cam and rockers? Is it worth the $$ and effort. I have read that it takes a lot to add noticeable HP to a small v-8.

jd_1598

Seaman Apprentice
Re: The most your boat can give you

I think smart tabs will be your best investment on your boat. It was for me it changed the attitude of the boat, very user friendly and lets me get the kids up faster when they ski and more fun towing the tubes. When I was younger I used to change out and swap intakes, carbs, and cams anything to go faster/quicker all ways tinkering not so much any more?.Gas is not $1.00 or $2.00 dollars a gallon anymore! Closer to $3.00 and going up. My boat runs all weekend long, is factory ?2 barrel carb and all, starts first time every time, it is not the fastest but fast enough I guess. I too? keep her maintained, waxed, shiny and ready to play and she doesn?t look her age. If you want to go bigger/faster etc.there are boats built just for that with all the right parts and no tinkering every trip out. If you like your boat and are thinking of making it better.. get the smart tabs If you want a faster boat?.there are some deals to be had right now! Besides I think I had heard 50hp will get you 3-5 mph. JMHO

Jim

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

The more you upgrade the engine "Performance Mods" The more you may break.... I would add the tabs if you need them, They should lower your planing speed and add stability but won't really make a difference on your top end.

Enjoy what you have. If it ain't broke... Drive it!!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Remember, a four blade prop generally causes a 1 -2 mph decrease of top end speed.

Sounds like smart tabs would be a good choice.

haulnazz15

Captain

It doesn't take a lot of money to get 30-50HP out of most small block v8's, but it does take a 40+HP to gain a few mph on the water in the top end. The smart tabs will help you plane out quicker, but it won't affect cruise much and top end increase is all but non-existent. The 4bbl will add some power, but not much and the fuel usage will obviously increase i bit. Most runabouts usually top out around 50mph, some up to 60mph, but going faster than that on water takes a lot of horsepower that usually requires twin engines or a big block to produce.

Get the smart tabs first then see how you like it. If you want a little more power, get the 4bbl carb and a performance dual-plane intake manifold and call it good.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys. I think I will get the tabs. Sounds like they will help a lot when I am pulling the tubes and skis. I run about 52 mph now with a 25p aluminum. I don't use a SS on the river here because of logs and such. I am going to get a SS for our trips to the lake. Just don't know which one yet.
I guess I'll leave the engine alone. Don't want to start tearing stuff up on her.