1978 Evinrude Shift Linkage AND

OldStro

Recruit
Hello all, Awsome site you have all helped make here.
I am having troubles with my shift linkage, I replaced the fuel lines and during that the shift cables had gotten tweaked (at the motor)
Is there a Diagram or somthing I can go by as far as turning those small Gear adjustments? or suggestions?

Other problem is... It does not want to start with out a hit of starting fluid,
( I know, DONT USE STARTING FLUID!! ) BUT That is the ONLY Way it wants to start when cool, hit of either its great, fish for 45 to an hour then needs either again.... I have replaced the ball, fuel lines, plugs, ran sea foam through it, nothing seems to be helping this problem... i have searched this site for similiar problems but havent got an answere... It seems like it floods out, but im not sure.. It seems like it back fires after we fish, then after the back fire it needs the either...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1978 Evinrude Shift Linkage AND

disconnect cable, place motor in neutral, control in neutral, now turn trunion nut to where the connect goes on with out moving motor part. then lock nut into holder.

your start problems sounds like contaminated carbs, and linc n sinc problem. if you must use premixed fuel, all you are doing with ether is damaging your engine.

OldStro

Recruit
Re: 1978 Evinrude Shift Linkage AND

Linkage is fixed, i found a post where somone had said put it in nuetrual an spin the prop, forward, then reverse, seems to have worked.

The non start on cold seems to have been the electric choke, it wasnt closing 100%.

Thanks for the help