86 gt200 won't run under load

randy 1669

Recruit
I have a 1986 johnson gt200(j200stlcdr) that will idle and run fine on a flushing attachment, but will only tach 2200 - 2500 rpm in the water. I have rebuilt the carbs, replaced the VRO pump, BOTH power packs (had one not firing the coils), new plugs and fuel line. Good compression with only 4 lbs difference between all 6 cylinders. Fuel is fresh with marine formula Sta-Bil. In the water in gear it will only hit a max of 2500rpm. If i kill the motor and restart it, it smokes and smells like it is loading up on fuel. Could this be the timer base not advancing the timing properly? Any ideas?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 86 gt200 won't run under load

did you do a link n sinc. sounds like it is not synchronized. i don't know it that motor hade the slow feature on it or not. slow feature is when the motor over heats, it automatically goes in to slow mode about 2,000 rpms.

randy 1669

Recruit
Re: 86 gt200 won't run under load

Finally back to work on my white beast. Checked timing and found that when no. 1 fires, the timing marks are around the flywheel about 30 degrees off of where they are supposed to be. Removed the flywheel and looked at the ring on the hub. It does'nt look like it has moved, but don't know for sure. Is there any way other than finding a good flywheel to compare with to know if the ring has moved? Also ran a resistance test on timing base at the power pack plugs. All 4 wires on both sides around 43 ohms with very little variance.
Any ideas?

Thanks, Randy