Installing new radio but...

slmiller1

Cadet
putting in new radio into my 1995 SSV Glastron. Any tips or suggestions. I think the connections are different but can I just match up the colors?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installing new radio but...

VHF radios have connections for +12VDC(red), Ground(black), two NMEA wires for connection to GPS and sometimes wires for night lights and hailer. An owners manual should tell you the rest of the colors.

slmiller1

Cadet

VHF radios have connections for +12VDC(red), Ground(black), two NMEA wires for connection to GPS and sometimes wires for night lights and hailer. An owners manual should tell you the rest of the colors.

Perhaps should have been more specific-I'm installing an fm/am/CD player radio. any thoughts on that. Thanks

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Connections will be different, you should be able to sort out what was from the old system (sometimes they are printed on the outside).

You will want to dig into the wires to ensure you have correct +/- and ensure you have correct speaker connections, but should be doable.

soburke

Cadet

I have a 1998 Bayliner Capri that had the old original cassette deck in that I just removed. Once I pulled it out all I had was the red power, black ground, antenna, and four wires to the two existing speakers which were clear. Of course the wiring harness for a new Dual marine cd/am/fm/usb/mp3 stereo was not quite the same.

Install notes: I wanted to save and use the same splash guard so I used a small router (a dremel would work too) to cut away the glastic backing so the new radio sleeve would fit. once that was done I mounted the sleeve by sliding it in and pushing back the tabs on all four sides to hold it in place.

Wiring notes: At the time I did not know I could fish a wire all the way around the bow of the boat to reach this radio which is on the passenger side dash, not within the captains console. So I wired both the power (red) and trickle power (yellow) to the single red wire, ground to ground, and two new speaker wiring to the rear left and right. I labeled everything and it is working fine. One guy I talked with said he would have ran another wire from the key as he likes to know when the boat is off, everything is off.

(note, I am a novice at this stuff and watch several youtube videos about installation etc, mostly on cars, to ramp up)

Hope this helps, SOB