Need to build a light Sunpad for Deck boat

svilla

Seaman
I need to build a light Sunpad for my Deck Boat. I have the pad built right now out of 7'6 X 3'6 3/4 ply wood and carpet. It is very heavy.

What could I use that would be light and strong? I would like to be able to stand on this pad when finished, I'm 250lbs.

I wounder if I could find some sort of honey comb to fiberglass...

Any in-put would be great, thanks in advance.

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need to build a light Sunpad for Deck boat

What do you consider heavy? What do you consider light?

My guess is that you are currently dealing with a part in the 75 pound weight range. Unless braced in the middle 250 pounds will flex it too.

A framework of aluminum could be made that would allow you to use something lighter like 1/2 but you aren't going to save a lot of weight.

A composite panel might be an option http://nida-core.com/english/nidaprod_lamin_comp_h8pp.htm but the cost will be 3-400.00 and the weight sav
ings will likely be no more than about 40%

svilla

Seaman
Re: Need to build a light Sunpad for Deck boat

I looked into the Nida Core. Interesting stuff. Yeah my current sun pad is about 75lbs. I built a structure for support, and to house the gas tank on one side and oil tank and battery on the other side. I am guessing after carpet that I have added 150lbs to the boat. Now I am stern heavy. I also added a newer motor a 150 Yamaha SWII so add 70lbs from the motor.

So to correct for being stern heavy I guess the easy way to do it is add 220lbs of balist to the bow.

Only thing I have in the front of the boat is 2 bench seats, so I was thinking of adding 3 45lb dumbells on each side. Then I could move them around to balance the boat out.