Boat has been sitting for 4 yrs, what type of damage am I looking at with the I/O?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTekRdnk

Recruit
I am looking for boats to buy and came across a 1999 SeaRay 185 Bowrider for a good price. The issue is that the boat hasn't been used for 4 years. The guy believes the only thing keeping it from starting is a seized starter.

I am wondering if I get the starter issue resolved what else could I be looking at after 4 yrs of sitting? The boat has a Mercruiser 4.3L, serial number info is in the attached photo.

He says it was winterized (4yrs ago after last use) by and stored at a marine for most of the four years. I don't mind putting a few hundred into tune-up and stuff like that but can't be putting a few thousand into rebuilds or anything like that.

Any recommendations would be greatly apprecaited. Depending on the results of this over the next day or so I will either say No Thanks or will have it taken to a marina to be looked at. Just don't want to spend a few hundred their if there is a high possibility of major work being needed. Thanks

Attachments

• CarbCover.JPG
    CarbCover.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 0

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat has been sitting for 4 yrs, what type of damage am I looking at with the I/O

Welcome aboard!!

Although he says it was winterized, I'd be very concerned about any newer boat that has been sitting, and also might have "a seized starter". That is possible of course, but I'd want to at least bar it over. Could be a $200 starter, could need a whole engine. Might have other issues as well. No way to tell without either getting it to run yourself and then testing it or paying somebody experienced to inspect it . . .

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat has been sitting for 4 yrs, what type of damage am I looking at with the I/O

That 4.3 is a really good engine, I think your worse nightmares are going to be the remaining fuel in the tank. You could have gotten lucky and someone put a butt load of Stabil in it, but 4 years is pushing it. I let my 3.0 sit for about 2.6 years and luckily, it fired right up. Open the gas cap and take a smell, if it smells like varnish, your in for some work. That fuel has to come out and all the fuel lines and carb will need a through cleaning. If not, those little chunks of varnish will mess with you forever. I'd check the engine oil, out drive oil, power tilt oil and your probably going to need a new battery. I'd pop the plugs out and hit them with a shot of WD-40 and then manually turn the engine over a few times. Then, with a fresh battery, hook it up and see if the starter will work. If not, you can get it rebuilt a lot cheaper than getting a new one.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spend the money to have someone who really knows what they are doing to check the boat over, you will SAVE yourself money and trouble in the long run. If he balks walk away. Make the inspection at the shop part of the deal. If the boat needs less than say $500 dollars worth of repairs you buy the boat and pick up the shop estimate. If it needs more than $500 worth of repairs he picks up the estimate and the deal is renegotiated. You may be able to get one of the mechanics to come to the boat if he won't go for the boat being moved.
Don't take it to just any marina--------get a Mercruiser trained & certified mechanic, nothing less.

wifesbitch

Recruit

Make sure the engine isn't seized if it isn't and the price is right go for it. But remove the fuel line to the carb and prime the carb by hand and make sure its pumping air. You can hear it most of the time. If it is O.K. get rid of the fuel tank and line to the pump and replace it. The effort involved in cleaning the tank and line is not worth the trouble. If you were paid by the hour to do this it would be more costly than the replacement.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Wifesbitch,
This is a 6 month old post, the original poster is long gone.

Also please change your screen name, i'm sure it violates the rule.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.