Smoke coming from exhaust .

tigerhack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good day my gimbal bearing begin to make noise causing my engine to bog down ...then i start to notice smoke coming from under my transom what is that ...is it from my exhaust or from my transom plate ...if so why would i get that smoke only when the bearing squealing or why do the exhaust start smoking any at all ? thank you.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Smoke coming from exhaust .

Remove your outdrive. You need to figure out what's going on. The smoke may be from the engine coupler or maybe burning grease.

Either way don't start it anymore until you have the drive removed.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

It will ba a PITA if the bearing siezes to the shaft.

tigerhack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remove your outdrive. You need to figure out what's going on. The smoke may be from the engine coupler or maybe burning grease.

Either way don't start it anymore until you have the drive removed.

Will that cause it to be smoking from the exhaust ? is it burning oil or too much gas ? I know the gimbal bearing is probably failing .

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

what color is the smoke?

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

A coupler has a rubber insert. When it fails, it may spin rubber on rubber for a short time until it fals completely apart. It will smell like . . . well . . . burnt rubber. Gimbal bearing alignmen and engine alignment problems lead to coupler failure IIRC

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Is the smoke from the inside of the boat or the outside of the boat? If from the outside, which I think is what it is your saying, its going to be engine combustion related and has nothing to do with your gimbal bearing.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Will that cause it to be smoking from the exhaust ? is it burning oil or too much gas ? I know the gimbal bearing is probably failing .

then i start to notice smoke coming from under my transom what is that ...is it from my exhaust or from my transom plate ...if so why would i get that smoke only when the bearing squealing or why do the exhaust start smoking any at all ?

I think a few pictures that show EXACTLY where the smoke is coming from are in order.

tigerhack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the smoke from the inside of the boat or the outside of the boat? If from the outside, which I think is what it is your saying, its going to be engine combustion related and has nothing to do with your gimbal bearing.

thank you bruce its from the outside ,the fume want to smell like kerosine oil the water look very black not oily though..i did spray a carborator cleaner in the caborator, someone says it may be burning too rich.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If it is just doing it when you start up from cold, I wouldn't worry about it. It is just rich from starting and the choke closed. If it is still doing it when it is warmed up and the choke open, then you need to look into it.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

black is normally rich (excess fuel), as posted at startup not a problem, if always - carb problems.

still need to fix your gimbal bearing before you have a hunk of steel which will mean you have to replace the entire outdrive, if it has enough back pressure to bog your motor down, you are creating a lot of problems. I don't know if it could bog it down enough to make it run rich, but it should be your top priority.

btw, white smoke is steam or oil burning for future reference.