1978 evinrude 55hp gearcase

jimmyjohn123

Recruit
Hi everyone im new here.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to dissasemble gear case so i can inspect the gears.

THANKS

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 evinrude 55hp gearcase

Many of us know how...... to explain the procedure is another matter. Best to purchase or borrow a manual to avoid any possible errors.

Why do you want to inspect the gears?

jimmyjohn123

Recruit

Many of us know how...... to explain the procedure is another matter. Best to purchase or borrow a manual to avoid any possible errors.

Why do you want to inspect the gears?

I purched a boat with this motor on it, the motor looks no differnt then brand new.

the fellow told me it would not go in gear, but i started up and it went right in gear easy,pumped water and purred like a kitten.
but on further inspection i noticed a hair line crack at the back of the lower unit where water has got in to the gear case, so i just wanted to see if he run it to long like that and wreck anything.Even thou the motor runs and gos in to gear perfect.

Thanks for you time

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

A crack at the back of the lower unit wouldn't allow water to enter the gearcase. The sealing items are about six to eight inches forward of that area. Did you actually detect water in the gearcase?