3M 5200 or 3m 4000 UV for sealing?

ohhenrygsr

Cadet
Hey guys and gals just a quick question i'm just trying to seal some leaky rivets to get by this year. I hear a lot of people using the 5200 but i was on 3M website and reading about both the 3M 5200 and 3M 4000 can anyone tell me the difference and witch one i should be using to seal rivets below the water line on a painted hull. here is the info

3M? Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200, White, 3 oz
White, one-part, greater than 99% solids urethane sealant that chemically cures when exposed to moisture.
3M Id : XS-0414-1186-8

Additional Information

It forms a rubbery, extremely strong, waterproof seal or bond, is non-shrinking and offers exceptional resistance to weathering. It can be used for the manufacture, maintenance, and repair of fiberglass reinforced plastic and wooden boats. It has good adhesion to mahogany, teak, cedar, fir, plywood, and gel coated fiberglass.

3M? Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 4000UV, 05280, 3 oz, White,
Resistant to weathering, saltwater, and stresses caused by joint movement. Seals between mechanically fastened joints on wood, fiberglass, metal and most plastics above and below the waterline.

thank you very much for all your help :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3M 5200 or 3m 4000 UV for sealing?

Gluvit is the aluminum boats best friend.

osiris661

Cadet
Re: 3M 5200 or 3m 4000 UV for sealing?

I was told to fill some small little holes I have in the transom of my aluminum boat as well as coat the center seam with just plain Epoxy glue and then place duct tape over the hole or seam with the glue in it to keep the glue in place until it dries, then, remove the duct tape, sand a little, and go over everything with a sealer like Gluvit. I was going to use 5200 but a friend of mine who works on larger boats for a living told me that it will eventually dry rot. Has this been anyone's experience here?