My first I/O, and I need tech help

poppinclips

Cadet
Guys,

I have a 4.3 mercruiser that is in my 1989 starcraft. The boat was in really good condition, and looks like it was meticulously maintained. I used it twice, and it ran great, and trolled great.

Now........

I just took it out, and when I ran out to my fishing spot and dropped back down into neutral idle, it sounds like it has a bit of an intermittent kind of "miss" or a tendency to want to stall. I ignored it, and drift fished for 1.5 hrs. Upon trying to restart it, it was tough to start. Normally, I just turn the key with the shift in the straight up neutral position and it fires right up. In order to start it now, I have to put the neutral throttle all the way to full. It runs fine when driving, nice and smooth. My temp gauge is hovering around 120. Slightly above at idle, slightly below at speed. It has a water separator on it, and by the looks of it, has had a fuel pump replaced fairly recently.

What could cause this change in starting, and also the rougher running at low idle? Just the other day, I trolled for 5 hours at low idle, with no probs. If I tried it now, I think I would have to feather the throttle a bit to prevent a stall.

Thanks for any input guys, appreciate it.

Kevin

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: My first I/O, and I need tech help

Go to the Adults only section and follow the instructions to download the manuals for your engine and drive.Read thru those sections first ,it may answer your questions.If your still stumped, repost

deves3000gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how is the choke? mine got stuck on the other day on gave me similiar problem. imo i would start with the carb. when was the last time it was rebuilt?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

CHECK, don't just throw a new one on, the fuel/water seperating fuel filter. Remove it and pour the contents in a clear container and see if there is water in it. Anything over about 1/4 water and that could be your problem.
Report back with your findings.