Rear drain plug

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat has been sitting for awhile with the rear drain plug out. it looks like there might be stuff in it. is t safe to shoot water up the hole to try to clean it out?

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rear drain plug

Yes, but instead you might want to use a clothes hanger, put a small bend on the end and gently try to pull out the obstructing material (only stick the wire in a couple of inches). Then rinse water down from inside the bilge to clear out the remaining. Otherwise, you'll blow in just to have in block the drain hole again.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you. I have a capri 1700. would the best place to blow it out be from the front of the batt. compartment. it is in the bow of the boat.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

start at the bow or ski locker, and use a coat hanger and the hose. try a combination of the two, until water flows into the engine compartment or the back of the boat freely. I have had to do this to mine a couple of times because of pine needles n stuff getting down in there. Put the hose nozzle directly over the hole and blast the water thru until it is flowing freely, use the coat hanger, repeat. I got all kinds of crap out of mine that way. then work it all out the drain plug hole with the hanger at the end.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for your input. I will have to do this on the next nice day we have.