1988 bayliner capri cuddy 1700 project

I am going to pick up a 1988 bayliner w/ trailer for $500 next week. I went to check it out on Friday the there are about 10-15 blisters on the hull but nothing in them the boat was sitting in water before the previous owner died in the delta then his grandson sold it and it sat in the front of this guys house and due to extensive travel he never got to doing anything but taking off the lower half of the motor but he is throwing in a new fuel line and seals also he lost the key so i cant check anthing but i will be taking a mirine wiring class in about a week to learn to rewire my boat the floor seems solid i could jump up and down all over it no soft spots but im planning on redoing the cabin making the sleeping area a few inches shorter so i may pull up the floor anyways unless my carpenter friend can just cut the boxes down a little and thin out the cushions to gain a little headroom and space maybe even giving up a bit of cushion space in a corner and changing the location of the portapottie but thats just a thought right now in need of a design thats not just in my head. Enough rambling about that what I really need to know is if anyone knows exactly how many yards of vinyl is needed to redo the interior not the cabin because i may get crazy with that and use wood there. so basically just the seats and sideboards and so fourth you can see from the pics exactly what im referring to. any info would help on all discussed in my rambling

heres the photo link
s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/GRM_Burglar/Boat/

any input will be appreciated
thanks in advance

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 bayliner capri cuddy 1700 project

I have a 1990 Capri 1700 bow rider. I had to do my interior over due to animals making houses. I bought new seats from overtons and matched the vinyl and di the sides over myself I used 3 differant coors and a bout 3 yards of each to do the sides. I think for the price of seats ( $150 each ) it wasnt worth doing them over and you can buy the vinyl to match. hope I could help. You might have a little more than mine due to being a cuddy.

thanks i appreciate the info there is a deal on vinyl for $4.99 a yard so i think im going to get it.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Always remember that comma's ( , ) and periods (. ) are your friend. Sorry, but that was hard to read. :eek:

okay, so I have the boat in the garage, gave it a wash to get off the 3 years of dirt, and decided to really assess the damage.....

To my suprise it was way better then expected, I could jump all over the deck. No soft spots whatsoever all over seems like they glassed in the deck when it was made, steering works, and throttle seems fine although I haven't started the boat (battery not hooked up and no key), so I decided to take out the interior to get it redone im thinking black and white.

here are some pics so far.
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv314/curtfelix/

as you can see the carpet is blue but its not too bad any opinions on dyeing the carpet black or should i just redo it? it may be tuff in the cabin area.

any info welcome

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same exact boat but a year older. I would love to see pics of the finished project.

ok so its been a while since my last post, but it's been hot and haven't done much. I have taken all the the parts off to have the boat painted going black bottom white top, also since I parked it at my parents I had to give my mom a job and hers was to design the interior seats she decided to have gucci accents in a white vinyl that has black tubing. It actually looks pretty good i was surprised to see how they came out.

after paint the carpet is going in which will be black as well hope it will be done within 2-3 wks will keep you posted with pics.

New pics of seats and buttons

New pics of seats and buttons

check the photobucket link for a pic of the rear seat cushions and the buttons that will cover the screws. should be done with the side panels and rear back rests tomorrow will post more pics then. also oat has been dropped off for paint 2wk return time hope its sooner got a boat outing in aug I wanna go to.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"pimp my ride" thats good looking stuff.. black carpet will attract heat and may fade out quicker but a nice bimini will help to shade it. it will be great to see the final product and paint job.

nice job

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

wow, those seats look awesome. did you have a shop do them?

my buddy owns an upholstery shop so I convinced him to let me learn a little about what he does since I helped him buy a house. I basically had to tear down the old seats to get a template to cut out the new material, he sewed everything and cut the new foam (pretty much 99.9% of the work).

My mom had some Gucci luggage that my parents dog chewed a handle off of one bag and ruined the zipper on another while they were on vacation, so she donated it to the boat and we used it. I had to pay for all the vinyl though, and also the carpet which i think is going to be salt and pepper.

Good learning experience and he likes the bussiness they've been bringing him.

top of the boat has been given a frsh coat of white paint the bottom has been sanded and prepped for paint with lots of attention paid to hull blisters to have them repaired check out the photobucket link for some new pics.

the bottom will be painted black today should be done by tomorrow then on to the motor shop

New Paint Pics

New Paint Pics

check the link for pics of the bottom painted black. Hopefully it will be back together in a few weeks. let me know what you think so far