Engine not getting fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Went to get the boat ready for the season. Started it up and ran it for about 5-10 min then it died and would not restart.

Removed the water/fuel separator and found it pretty empty and full of crud. Ordering another one but flushed it for now, refilled with gas and put back on. Engine ran for about 30sec-1 min then died again.

Removed separator and found it empty again.

Read the FAQ (thanks Don S) and have some good ideas for testing and will be going to pick up some of the gear but for now wanted to se if anyone had any ideas.

Specifics: 1988 OMC drive with 5.0L GM engine.

Thoughts:
1. Fuel pump and carb probably fine since the engine runs if it has gas.
2. Tank has gas in it (added some for good measure).
3. Suspect problem is between tank and separator/filter. Probably crud somewhere at the bottom of the tank or line. Is there a filter/screen in the tank?
4. Is there an easy way to drain/clean the tank? Since it is under the deck it would be a big deal to get it out.

Suggestions welcome

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine not getting fuel

Put on a new water seperating fuel filter, then hook up a remote fuel tank (outboard tank works great) directly to the fuel pump inlet fitting, then start it up and see how it runs.
It basically removes your boats fuel system. If it still doesn't run, yoiu have either a fuel pump or carb problem, if it does work, something is wrong with the boats fuel system.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Don. That is where I was headed. Ordering the filter now.

Just curious - Is there anything special about these that makes them marine rated? I know that starters, alternators, fuel pumps all need to be special to prevent risk of explosion.

But what else do we need to watch out for?

kruppy761

Recruit

one other thing to check which is a cheap fix is to pull the fuel line coming into the carb and see if you have pressure there, try turning the motor over if you have a mechanical pump (hold a rag over the line cause it will spray if you do, if there is fuel coming out of that, there should be a fitting in front of that line on the carb, pull that offf and there may be a filter in there that is clogged, I had this problem with a boat I bought, it would idle but wouldn't run cause that filter was crapped up. just flush that filter and reinstall if you're getting fuel.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry but I dual posted this in error (thought the first post disappeared). Look under "Ran for 10 min then died"

FYI - got new filter and it's running now. Will run a bit and pull the filter to check for crud. If there is a lot there I guess I have a tank problem.

Hope not - don't know how I would get the tank out without ripping out the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.