Mouse in my Merc 115hp 4 stroke

npr0520

Recruit
-see second post regarding mouse damage-

I have 2002 115hp four stoke and it appears Cyl #2 is not getting gas. The boat will run at about 4000 rpm WOT. I replaced all the plugs and 1,3, and 4 look like they are burning fuel. Plug #2 is as clean as when I put it in, with the exception of some discoloration on the ground electrode. It does not smell like gas or burnt gas. I have the maintenance manual and I did the injector test - put a screwdriver on the body of the injector and listened for the clicking sound with the engine idling; it is there on all four injectors.

Any one know of any reasons why there would be no gas getting to the cylinder? Could the injector be plugged? If so, is there anything I could try
to clear it without taking the fuel rail out?

Thanks

npr0520

Recruit
Re: Merc 115hp 4 stroke cyl#2 not getting gas

Re: Merc 115hp 4 stroke cyl#2 not getting gas

One other thing on this same engine. After running into this problem I took the cover off the motor and found that a mouse had taken up residence in the motor over the winter. It has chewed some of the foam off the inside of the motor cover and made a bed in the bottom of the engine. There was foam on the outside of the air intake screen. I am assuming some of the smaller pieces
made it through as there is no filter for the air intake. The screen measures about 3/16" - anything smaller got sucked in.

Does anyone know what this could do to the engine? Did Mercury figure if something could fit through that screen the engine could handle it? Not sure if this could be why I am losing power and possibly have no fuel going to #2.

I checked the rest of the engine for mice damage and it did feast on some wires. Just a few chew marks in the insulation was all I could find.

MarshMan73

Seaman
Re: Mouse in my Merc 115hp 4 stroke

I have always wondered why outboards don't have some sort of filter mechanism to keep nasty stuff from getting in the motor. I guess there isn't anything that when it gets wet will not fall apart or get sucked in. As far as your mice problem goes I highly recommend putting poison bait inside your boat and in the motor housing. Don't forget it's in there come fishing day. Doh!! One of those fake snakes wouldn't hurt either and would probably keep the stupid mockingbirds from taking over your boat while you're away. Mice can get real bad!! My '93 Nitro is in ruins after one season of being stored away. Ate the carpet, the wires, the seats, the ropes, the gas lines, etc... Decided to scrap that boat as the smell of mouse urine and feces and the damage it caused was just too much. Been using poison and traps in my new boat. Now tonight I find new critters.... ants!!

andyusmc

Cadet
Re: Mouse in my Merc 115hp 4 stroke

Check your ignition. I am not familiar with that engine, but it seems to me that your problem could be no spark on #2.