prop suggestions

jaberwok

Cadet
hello

i have a 17ft reinell 170 4cyl volvo 280 leg 14/13 prop
this boat is very slow to plane any suggestions
i looked through the forums but could not find this setup for that matter i could not find much about reinell boats like history and such ?????

thank
jim

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: prop suggestions

four blade would help hole shot what is wot rpm with that 4 x13

jaberwok

Cadet

it is set to tach out at 5600 according to previous owner
my brother test drove it for me said every thing is fine just slow to plane he did not note wot.

what # would i look at on a 4 blade prop

thanks jim

hwsiii

Commander

Jim, what is the year of the boat and how muh HP does it have.

H

jaberwok

Cadet

sorry new to this
it is a 1978 17ft reinell 280 leg 14/13 prop
fresh rebuild on a 4cyl volvo 130 hp elect fuel pump racore filter twin carbs

thanks jim

jaberwok

Cadet

can someone help identify this prop
michigan 0-5 r 318 15 p
1978 volvo 4 cyl 280 leg
thanks
jim

hwsiii

Commander

Jim, I also need the gear ratio, I also looked for the mihigan wheel prop and couldnt find it but it is a 15" Pith prop from the numbers on it. The gear ratio is on a tag on the outdrive.

H

jaberwok

Cadet

h
the only numbers on the out drive is pznr 2860373b
and the 280 plate

thank you ever so kindly
jim

hwsiii

Commander

Jim sorry I can't help without the gear ratio, I have tried to find it but I can't.

H

jaberwok

Cadet

h
i pulled the cover and found these # 022.15 and 0373
is there a general place were these # are placed
is there a link you can post so i can track down # on my own
i have lots of free time as im retired

thanks so much jim

hwsiii

Commander

Jim, here are the numbers I have for your boat and motor, I hope they are correct and I think they are. I show your recommended RPM should be between 5,000 and 5,500 RPM and your gear ratio at 1.61:1 and a base boat weight of about 1,800 pounds and an all up weigh of about 2,800 pounds. If you decide on an aluminum prop just buy a 13" Pitch, the one you have on it now is a 15" Pitch NOT a 13 Pitch, that is why the hole shot is bad. But if you decide to go with stainless steel get back with me.

Boat and Motor

JaberwokBoatandMotor.jpg

Prop Picker

JaberwokPropPicker-1.jpg

jaberwok

Cadet

h
thank you ever so kindly
the first prop i listed 14/13 would be the correct one then ?

what is the diff between stainless and aluminum?
and 3 or 4 blade
if the boat is rated at 5500 rmp 37.0 mph why spend giant money on a prop if it will not push past 37.0 mph with the 4cyl ? or am i missing something
any regard thanks for your input h

jim

hwsiii

Commander

Jim, your MOTOR is rated for 5,000 to 5,500 RPM from the factory, your outdrive has a gear ratio of 1.61:1, and that means you need a prop that will let your motor turn between 5,000 and 5,500 RPM with the gear ratio of 1.61:1. Most 13" Pitch 3 blade aluminum props will let that happen. When you change to a four blade propeller you will lose some RPM, it just depends on blade geometry as to how many RPM you lose. Blade Geometry controls RPM and prop slip much more than pitch or small diameter changes. When I discuss blade geometry I am talking about how much Rake and whether it is flat rake for moderate bow lift, zero rake for stern lift or progressive rake for a lot of bow lift, Pitch and whether it is regressive pitch for better hole shot, progressive pitch for a better hole shot and top speed, or fixed pitch for a narrow speed range at a particular RPM, Cupping and whether it is on the trailing edge for stern lift and less ventilation when running props at high motor heights, or blade tip cup for maximum bow lift and water control, and the actual amount of blade surface area( low blade surface area for light boats and high speeds, high blade surface areas for heavy boats and less prop slip) that are designed into a prop for specific applications.
Most of the recommendations made in this forum are for Pitch only, as the person asking the questions is just trying to get the RPM for his motor in the right manufacturer recommended WOT power range, and they use aluminum props which have very little blade geometry and thus can be exchanged between one brand and another with very little unexpected results, except the Turning Point and Michigan Match series. When changing to a Stainless Steel prop is when all of the above items I mentioned come into play and that is when the Black Art of propeller recommendations matters. When changing out propellers in SS I have seen a 700 RPM difference between two props that have a diameter within a 1/4" of each other and the 16" Pitch prop is the one with the 5,050 RPM versus the 17" Pitch running at 5,750 RPM.
Hopefully this increases your knowledge about props and the differences involved between blade geometry and what it can change in how a boat will react to certain blade configuration changes in geometry.

H

jaberwok

Cadet

h
thanks for the lesson i followed your link and did a bunch more reading on props
and theory of propulsion, simple yet complex i can now visualize the process.

i will look around for the tags i called the old owner he said they were there
and he will call the shop that rebuilt the motor/ leg to see if they removed them in any regard i believe your calculations are correct still it would be nice to have the sn #

thanks
jim

jaberwok

Cadet

H
no luck with the tag, i have rebuilt many motors never needed to pull tags i was told the new shop monkey prepped the motor for rebuild and pulled the tag and lost them.
from the lack of info mating a 130 hp with 280 leg i suspect this is not a factory mate within that particular year. do you know what year they did mate these or if they did? the exhaust port on the leg is not scooped

i dont think i will have issues with the drive or elect as every thing was redone it would be nice for reference purposes to know the year

thanks jim