Mercruiser MCM 165 charging problems

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
We just bought an '87 Four Winns Horizon 170 with a Mercruiser MCM 165, serial number B648337.

The seller said the battery died on him earlier that day while demo-ing the boat with another potential buyer. He measured the battery voltage with the engine running and got about 13.5 volts, so we both agreed it was just a bad battery.

I put in a new one and took the family out on Santa Rosa Sound in N.W. Florida for a couple of hours. Despite suggestions from the family to beach it across the sound and swim for awhile, I decided not to kill the engine until we were back at the dock. I'm glad that sometimes I can be brilliant because I tried to restart the engine and sure 'nuff: dead battery!

Can I start the engine then disconnect the battery to test the charging system? If it were a car, I could easily confirm a strong alternator by turning on the high beams and a/c blower then disconnecting the battery. If the lights remained bright and the blower maintained speed, I could assume the alternator was putting out juice (I once drove for 12 hours with a bad alternator, but didn't get stranded on the side of the road until nighttime after the headlights drained the battery).

My theory is that if I start the engine, turn on the bilge pump, lights, radio, and blower, then disconnect the battery, if everything continues to run as before, then my charging system is good and my problem is elsewhere.

Sound good?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser MCM 165 charging problems

My theory is that if I start the engine, turn on the bilge pump, lights, radio, and blower, then disconnect the battery, if everything continues to run as before, then my charging system is good and my problem is elsewhere.

That theory may have worked on old generators, but not alternators. You try that on an alternator and you will destroy things.
Use a meter like normal people. With the engine running at 1500 rpm, you should be seeing 14.5 volts.
Go up to the adults only sticky and download manual #8 for your engine and do some reading.

natemoore

At least I knew enough to ask before I did it. :redface:

Not quite sure what you mean by "adults only sticky." Please explain in a little more detail please.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The very first post. "Adults Only"

natemoore

The very first post. "Adults Only"

I'm getting ready to drive 20 miles to Boaters World and just buy the darn manual because I cannot find any thread or post called "Adults Only", only references to "Adults Only" in other posts. I've tried the search function. I've navigated down from the Boat Forums pull down menu. I just don't see it. Should it be this hard?!?

Maybe the administrator could put a link to that post in FAQs?

I'm not a guy who spends a lot of time in online forums, so maybe someone could walk me to it? Please.

Thanks.

natemoore

Thanks Ziggy,
I stumbled upon that "How to ask a question" thread before, but I'll be darned if I can find it again...

Correction. I found it. I was looking for it way too high. I thought it was a general info thread for all forums.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's the first post at the top of this forum ......................

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=21

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0

natemoore

Thanks for the outstanding directions. I realized I was looking way at the top for some general info, not a specific forum thread. I'm impressed at how quickly you ginned that up!:D

natemoore

Is a Mercury Marine service manual much better than a $35 SELOC?

natemoore

Use a meter like normal people. With the engine running at 1500 rpm, you should be seeing 14.5 volts.

Although I am far from "normal," I did pull out my oft' used multimeter and read a voltage across the battery terminals of around 16.9 to 17.1 volts at rpms ranging from idle to 2000 rpms.

Is this okay? Was your 14.5 volts a minimum? Maybe I've got a corroded or loose wire or something. Any ideas?

I'm definitely going to use my good, old battery and rig up a two battery system.

The previous owner said he had all the seals in the front of the engine professionally replaced, including the two camshaft seals and the crankshaft seal. Plus, the impeller in the lower unit was replaced, so I think I may be okay for a few years with the cooling issue. Just need some resolution of this charging issue to be totally comfortable out with the family.

Thanks in advance.