Bellows install tips

jaybob275

Cadet
Hey Guys,

Your forum has been invaluable to my project of replacing the gimbal ring, it's finally all coming back together but installing the bellows is giving a bit a problem, we're redoing all the bellows and we got a new shift cable in and everything but we tried putting the bellows on to no avail.

Any tips as to putting them in? Which side to do first? BTW it's a 78 Merc 228 on a Yarcraft with the I-drive. Any special tools to getting them in? We're using a flex drive right now but i'm thinking a 90* elbow maybe? We've been frustrated all day.

Thanks

JBI

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Bellows install tips

on my 1 drive, i found it much easier with the bellhousing hinge pins removed. ya can slide the bellhousing to far fwd that way. makeing it so ya don't have to stretch out the bellows as much, thus makeing it easier to install them. other than that. plain ol make yer fingers bleed and stretch them on...

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bellows install tips

The easy way to do it , is to have someone else do it just kidding put the aft on first then the foward.Look at the u-joint bellows also it says aft. on it and donot remove the grounding tabs on the bellows.The shift cable is easy to install it completely the put the clamp on it.all the clamps have a location that they belong in also.