Ice chest . . . pour water out?

Expidia

Commander
Does anyone know if I pour the water out of my cooler after 1/2 day on the water will the food stay colder since the remaining cubes are not floating in water.

Or is it cooler for the food to leave the water in?

Thx

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ice chest . . . pour water out?

I leave it in to increase the volume of cold related to not as cold.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

If you leave the ice in the bags when you put it into the cooler it will last a lot longer. Then i still leave what ever water accumulates in the cooler.

a70eliminator

Captain

As the ice absorbs heat it turns to water, the water continues to absorb heat, removing the water removes you cooling capacity.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

cold air in a cooler can be displace upon opening in a instance while the water in the cooler will remain much like a insulating blanket around your six pack

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

for a moment, I thought I tuned into the science channel.

Try to get and use good old fashioned block ice when you can D=W/V

Block ice has higher density per unit volume for the long run.

A mixture of block and cubes to get things started. Empty the water as stated above.

Forgive me for my sarcasm

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Skargo, In your avatar: Isn't that the 95 bridge at Garret island in the Sussquehanna?

Photos of the wake spreading behind the hull at speed are my favorites.

skargo

Banned

Skargo, In your avatar: Isn't that the 95 bridge at Garret island in the Sussquehanna?

Photos of the wake spreading behind the hull at speed are my favorites.

Yes sir. The first bridge is the CSX railroad, and behind that is the Millard Tydings(I95) bridge.

4563_213374015651_554955651_7080677_966754_n.jpg

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Some physics facts for the 'cooler minds':

- Keeping ice in the bag will made the ice melt slower because of the lack of air exchange. This means your food will stay warmer, not the desired effect.
- Salt is not magical; It will not keep your cooler colder longer, just cooler than without. Salt will lower the freezing point of the water, which means your food and beverages will be colder, but at the expense of longevity. Fine for a quick few hours out, but bad for an all day event.
- Keeping the water in the cooler indeed does keep the cooler cold longer, as the water will likely be just above freezing (or slightly below with salt) so long as there is still ice floating in it. Cool water makes and keeps items cool just as warm stuff warms a cold cooler.
- Light colored coolers will reflect the sunlight, keeping your cooler cooler. Luckily for us, most 'marine' coolers are white.

Hope that explains some things.

eavega

Lieutenant

AMazing salt can melt road ice, yet in a cooler, make it colder. :D

Yet, the way it melts the ice is to lower the freezing temperature of the water, so water that would be ice at 0 degrees Celsius now won't be ice unless the temperature drops to, say, -10 degrees Celsius (that temperature is not accurate, just used for example). Same reason you use salt in the ice when you make ice cream. It lets the ice get colder than 0 degrees Celsius. It will still melt the ice in the cooler, but will keep the cooler colder because the melted ice will be colder than the solid ice.

My newest trick is to use dry ice to keep my stuff cool. Dry ice doesn't melt, it sublimates, which means it goes directly from solid to gas. No water to deal with one way or the other.

-Eric

-Eric

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since someone said science discussion here is the science.
First we start with simple observations, on a 85 degree day put your hand in the lake and you'll notice it is cooler than the air ( at least the lakes in my part of the world), then at night the air temp will drop while the lake stays relatively the same temp.
Water requires more heat energy per gram to raise it one degree than air.
A simple test for this would be to take two canning jars of the same size fill one with water and the other with air and put the caps on, put them in the refrigerator overnight to assure equal temperature in both in the morning put them on the counter for an hour and then measure the temp in both jars, you will find that the jar with the air will have a much higher temp.
In conclusion leave the water in the cooler unless you add more ice.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Some physics facts for the 'cooler minds':

Salt will lower the freezing point of the water, which means your food and beverages will be colder, but at the expense of longevity. Fine for a quick few hours out, but bad for an all day event.

It depends on the quality of your cooler and how you load it. I can get 24 hours out of a single charge, no problem.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

We keep a wet towel draped over the cooler also. when its 110-115 degrees outside, it seems to make a pretty big difference.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

first lesson we learned , start with a good cooler, then fill and freeze plastic pop bottles and line the bottom of cooler. No water to deal with and reusable, just put them back into the freezer.
And as for the cubes, put them on top of the bottles
rob