1981 #E70ELCIM 70hp How do i get the lower unit off?

ernesttodd1

Cadet
I have this motor and i cant get the lower unit off? i am a mechanic but am at a loss? have a book...but not to helpful.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: 1981 #E70ELCIM 70hp How do i get the lower unit off?

Not sure about your exact engine but I think there're all basicaly the same, you remove the 6 or so mounting bolts, there may or may not be a gasket between, but if there is it may take some careful and I mean very careful prying, after the housing is loose you should be able drop it down and out of the water tubes just by wiggling it back and forth, the last thing holding it on there will be the shift rod, ther should be some kind of acess plate on the side of the upper housing to remove and get you to the shift rod coupler clamp, and then it should drop completely free.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have to disconnect the shift rod linkage, underneath the bottom carb. then the connecting bolts on the lower unit, also there is one hidden under the fin.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The release for your shift rod is under the carburetors, accessed from the port side. The screw is facing you as you look from the side.

Depending on the gearcase, you may have five or seven screws holding the gearcase to the midsection. On those with seven, the last screw is hidden above the trim tab so the trim tab bolt # 6 has to come off first.

Try not to turn the shift rod while working on the gearcase. Also, mark the trim tab position before removal so that you can replace it in the same position.

ernesttodd1

Cadet

thanks a bunch i am looking for a replacment lower...would you kno what years will fit, i did some research and i think it would be from 1976 to 1982? and 60, 70 ,80 hp interchange?