pitting in the head

cadilacboat

Cadet
I have a 67 evinrude 40 hp. I blue out the head gaskit. i took it apart and found pittining in the head its not shinny its all cabind up. I was wondering what is it caused for? I was told it was a ring but im not sure if it all ready been replaced. is there any way i can tell if it just happend or if its been replaced. Is it somthing i sould worry about if its not a ring? thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: pitting in the head

I have a 67 evinrude 40 hp. I blue out the head gaskit. i took it apart and found pittining in the head its not shinny its all cabind up. I was wondering what is it caused for? I was told it was a ring but im not sure if it all ready been replaced. is there any way i can tell if it just happend or if its been replaced. Is it somthing i sould worry about if its not a ring? thanks

How about the piston top? Is it beat up also? If not, then the damage, whatever it was, has been repaired. That pock-marking conditon happens when something breaks and pieces get into the cylinder and the piston pounds it to bits. The pocks won't hurt the head, but a beat-up piston is cause for concern.

cadilacboat

Cadet
Re: pitting in the head

the pistion looks fine. so just put the headgaskit on and it will be fine hopfully.. do you know what tha torqe is for those bolt?????????