Running Motor in water first time since 03

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,

I have a 1990 Bayliner capri with a force 50 on it. I am about to puti t in the water for the first time this year. heres the catch it hasnt been in the water since 03. I had some issues with it and thanks to you and a local mechanic I got them fixed and running with the muffs. My qustion is: Is there anything I should do prior to taking it out or anything I should look for while im out, where it hasnt been run in so long. Should I mix the gas a little rich for lube or should I mix it just right to see that it is running properly? thanks for reading.

P.S. This has been a 3 year project for me I cant wait to get it out. :D

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Running Motor in water first time since 03

I don't have any answers for you but I just wanted to say thanks for giving my post some back in that other thread. Also what year Force do you have?

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im assuming its the same as the boat. how do I find out?

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Im assuming its the same as the boat. how do I find out?
You can find out the year by the serial #, post the # & I'll look it up for you or you can google the serial #. My Force 50 hp is, 1987

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will get it in a few. Thanks for your help. I will put it up in the next hour or so. I dont have the luxury of keeping my boat in my driveway its down the street from my house.

BTW do you have good luck with your motor. I have a 17 foot bayliner capri. do you think its good enough it came with the boat.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

These are easy motors to work on but they have a bad rep and are sold cheaper than other brands because of that. I say let the bad rep stay that way I can always find a cheap price motor that's easy to work on. Get a manual, don't neglect it & it shall serve you well.

I think 50 hp is at the low end for a 17' but should get you where you want to go, if your not in a hurry :D

May the force be with you :cool:

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found a sticker on it with these #s 507X90D. These #'s look like what other people post so I think that is the serial #.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I found a sticker on it with these #s 507X90D. These #'s look like what other people post so I think that is the serial #.
It is indeed a 1990 50 hp, when you get a chance go to ebay and buy a manual. I paid $15 with shipping included for mine (ebay), it was a Clymer Marine Repair paperback manual. I don't know how good the ones on CD are, might be a hard to read scanned copy (I would stay away from those).

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a seloc manual at west marine. it has been pretty helpful. It lacks troubleshooting though. Thanks for your help.

john from md

Commander

Since it hasn't run in a long time, do a decarb procedure on it. You will find the procedue in the FAQ section of the repair and maitenance message boards. Decarbing will help to clean the carbon and varnish build up that is in the carbs and engine.

John