1997 Force 40HP Starting Problem

sharper410

Cadet
I have a 1997 40HP Force engine that suddenly won't start. I ran the boat on the lake last week without any problems and the engine ran beautifully. Now I went to start it and it turned over and stalled twice and now won't turn over at all. Also, at one point there was an excessive amount of unburned oil running out the bottom / top of the leg, which is a first. I changed the spark plugs but it didn't help. It did this a few years ago but then starting running again. Don't know what the problem was then or now so any suggestions would be appreciated.

sharper410

Cadet
Re: 1997 Force 40HP Starting Problem

Anyone have any suggestions at all? I'm thinking it must be something electrical.

sharper410

Cadet

I'm still hoping someone has a suggestion but in the mean time I do have an update. I was able to get the engine started yesterday by spraying some starter fluid into the carb. Of course it ran fine and would start right back up without the fluid. So I went to try it today and it fired for a few seconds but then wouldn't fire up after that. Again I sprayed some starter fluid and it cranked and ran fine. I was thinking that it might be the choke/fuel enrichment solenoid but all the lines are clear, it clicks when I push in the key, and fuel flows out of it when I manually depress the button. I'm completely baffled why it won't start up normally from a cold start. Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

sharper410

Cadet

I guess nobody else has ever had a problem like this.

svctech

Recruit

I bought a pontoon about 2 months ago with a 40 hp force. Been out on it 4 times and everytime I had a starting problem. It always starts fine at first but omce I get out on the lake and turn it off it has a problem re-starting. I cleaned my fuel tanks (fearing dirty gas). Yesterday was the last straw. Started right up, rode fine till I slowed it down then it quit. I could start it with a fast idle but when I drop it down to put in gear it would stall. Finally had to have it towed in. Now it won't start at all. Befor I changed the fule/water filter and it took care of it but at $30 a pop that get expensive. 3 in 2 months? But now nothing. Just turns over. New to boating and realized it's not for me. Too many headaches.

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My first suggestion is to buy a good manual if you are mechanically inclined. If you are not, you are better taking it to a mechanic you trust. I would never spray starting fluid in my 2 stroke motor. You need 3 things for a 2 stroke to run.

1. Spark - this includes almost all electrical. An easy test is to take the spark plugs out and connect the spark plug to the boot. With the spark plug grounded turn the motor over. Do not hold the spark plug or it will light you up like a Christmas tree. You should be getting a nice hot blue spark that will jump at least 1/2 inch and farther the better. If no spark start with the easy stuff - key switch - lanyard switch - etc.

2. Compression - you must have a compression gauge to measure. If you have lost compression you will be looking at a decarb or a rebuild. I really don't think this is your problem but you need to check this before you go down to number 3. Most mechanics would probably list this as number 1 as it is usually the most expensive to fix.

3. Fuel - Fuel must be there and in the right proportion. The motor will not ruhn with too little and it will not run with too much. The oil you described running down the leg is sometimes a sign it is getting too much fuel but not always - it could have been from continuous cranking.

Spark is easy to check. Compression is easy to check with a gauge and you must have a gauge. Fuel could be several things. You must determine if it is getting too much or not enough. If you do not know what you are doing you can do a lot of damage in a short time - buy a manual. If you must spray something in the motor do not use starting fluid - use a mixture of gas and oil in a spray bottle - you can damage the cylinder. If you check for spark be sure to connect the boot to the spark plug and then ground it - you can fry your electronics. Good luck.

Captdave662

Recruit

I bought a pontoon about 2 months ago with a 40 hp force. Been out on it 4 times and everytime I had a starting problem. It always starts fine at first but omce I get out on the lake and turn it off it has a problem re-starting. I cleaned my fuel tanks (fearing dirty gas). Yesterday was the last straw. Started right up, rode fine till I slowed it down then it quit. I could start it with a fast idle but when I drop it down to put in gear it would stall. Finally had to have it towed in. Now it won't start at all. Befor I changed the fule/water filter and it took care of it but at $30 a pop that get expensive. 3 in 2 months? But now nothing. Just turns over. New to boating and realized it's not for me. Too many headaches.

I had the same problem and it was the primer solenoid. It was not shuting off completly and the motor was running rich. Also it would only run at a fast idle and it was smoking a good bit. You can pinch the tube on either end of the solenoid to see if it makes a difference.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If the solenoid checks out OK try this.

Prime it by squeezing the primer bulb each time you try starting? Does it get firm after squeezing 3 or 4 times? If not, then either the primer bulb is bad (not uncommon for this to happen), or the needle valve in the carb is not seating properly due to wear or debris. You could also have some crud in the tank clogging up the fuel pick up. If it does get firm, and if you haven't already done so, you might want replace the fuel pump diaphragm. If it's the square shaped fuel pump, the kits are around $12.00.

bjclaw

Recruit

On my force 50 HP , it was a worn fuel pump diaphram . When you pumped the primer bulb , fuel would pass through the bad diaphram and out the exhaust !

OnShoreGuide

Recruit

Having a Starting problem with a 1995 Force 40HP Outboard

Using a Remote-Starter which is connected to the positive terminal on my motors battery, and also connected to where a RedNYellow wire meets the Solenoid. When I click the remote starter the motors starter engages the flywheel and cranks the flywheel into rotation well. For whatever reason the motor will not "fire" and it almost seems as if it's getting no gas? The motor has spark... It also has compression but the top cylinder has 120 and the bottom has a Weak 60...

This is wierd because i took off the carbs and sprayed them, installed a new ball with new gas in the tank and it pumps until its hard.
One thing i haven't tried is spraying gas directly into the carberator which i am going to try first thing in the morning.

I could not find a kill switch on the front of the motor, and do not have a manual. My buddy told me there might be some sort of wiring preventing it from starting... If anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it...

I'm going to try starting tomorrow by spraying fuel mix directly into the carbs i will give you an update as to what happens. -Jesse

Last edited:

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a problem last year and it was several things. What I can tell you is that on one of my cylinders the reading was 80 which is not good, so 60 would not be good sign. I had the carbs cleaned and this helped some but I was told that maybe pistons rings were sticking. Anyway I read the manual and it said to decarb and suggested using Mecury Power Tune. Lucklily for me this brought the compression back up. That was one problem. I also had been having problems with the boat dying and all kinds of other problems. When I got it back from the mechanic it was still running horribly, not only that now it was really hard to start. I checked the fuel pump diaphram and it had 2 holes in it and also cracking. I replaced the diaphram but then it would not start at all. So I took it to another mechanic and he said that the prior mechanic had adjustments all wrong. Once they did the proper adjustments everything was good and the boat started running without all the problems of dying. The combination of changing the diaphram and proper adjustments solved all the problems.