Starting my 175 mercury black max?

I have a mercury 175 black max early nineties. It runs really good when its running. But the only way to start it is by putting up the choke lever all the way up every time. Wait for it to roar then tone it down. Is that normal for this motor, am I damaging the motor, or is there something that I can do. Another thing is that when I do have a problem starting it, sometimes I flood the motor. What's the best thing to do when that happens?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Starting my 175 mercury black max?

I suspect you have the names confused, the flat lever on the control that you raise is the Fast Idle Control, it is actually a limited throttle lever for starting and warm up.

The Choke/enrichener is activated by pushing the key switch in.

Cold starting,

1 pump the primer bulb up firm, about a moderate as a handshake

2 raise the fast idle lever half to two thirds way up

3 turn the key ON, push 'IN' the choke and hold it in while you turn to crank the motor

4 choke and crank just til it fires, releasing the starter and choke together

maintain a fast idle of 1500 to 2000 until the engine warms, if the engine slows too much then momentarily push the key IN to choke/enrichen the mixture for just a heatbeat and release again. You may have to do this 3 or 4 times during your warm up.

thanks, that is the way that I usually start the motor but I was wondering if is there anything that I can do to avoid doing that process? Or is that the only way that those motors are?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

After the motor is warm, it should fire up immediately w/o choke or cold start lever. It sounds like something is mis-tuned.

Blown Challenger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but Ive got a 90 xr2 150 black max and dont see any fast idle lever on the controls of my boat. Am I missing something?