Throttle sticking, UT O..........

TSBoatman

Seaman
I have a 69 johnson 85 hp that was stalling when trying to bring it up to WOT but ran excellent if i didnt. That turned out to be dirty jets so i rebuilt the carbs. The problem is when kept under half throttle it doesn't die, but was a pain in the *** to settle it down in to neutral to shut off the engine, it frankly doesn't work. I end up having to turn it off in gear because im afraid i will over extend it and jump into reverse trying to "find" the neutral posistion which i had a near miss last time i tried.

I have brand new throttle cables.

Never messed with the linkage.

Could I be missing some sort of spring to help it retract into posistion?

Do you think it just needss some oil?

Thanks for any help

:confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Throttle sticking, UT O..........

sound like a bad or sticking neutral switch. that is an electric or hydro electric shift.

TSBoatman

Seaman

The saftey switch thought did cross my mind but I'm certain it is working as i'd shut off the engine in with the throttle slightly forward so when it came around to restarting it I would have to remove the engine cover and manually push back the arm as the neutral switch would obviously be activated and the engine wont turn in gear.

I guess the switch could still be sticking out and blocking the arm to settle into the "start posistion"......How would i go about "un sticking" it so to speak?

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like cables are out of adjustment to me.