Oil Light + Stalls in Gear + Two Cylinders Not Firing

Buoybuoy

Cadet
Hey folks, newbie here.....awesome forum!

I just purchased a used boat with a 1996 Evinrude OceanPro 200, model E200TXEDR. Compression is decent(?) ranging from 95-110 on all cylinders.

It starts with no issue, but the "No Oil" light goes on after warming up. It also stalls when I put it into gear (only runs in neutral) and I have two cylinders not firing.

Do these three issues have commonality?

Thanks!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Oil Light + Stalls in Gear + Two Cylinders Not Firing

If its new to you then you ought to go through the whole thing.
Check the lower gear oil, use new seals on the drain screws.
Get the genuine service manual, best thing you can do for it.
www.outboardbooks.com

Maybe swap a coil around with a good one and see if the problem follows the coil. Does it use 2 pack coils?
Mine is a 1994 and one coil fires 2 sparkplugs, double barrel coils.
Are your non firing coils on the same side or opposite?

Are the coils not sparking or the cylinder not firing?
"Cylinder not firing" could be a carb issue and the plug might be sparking.!

Compression is at the max range, it might benefit from a seafoam treatment after you sort out the other problems.

Buoybuoy

Cadet

Jones G,

Thanks so much for the response. I found the original OMC service manual on E-Bay for $35 so I went ahead and ordered it. I'll go ahead an pick up new lower unit drain plug seals too.

The stator was the culprit here, pricey part at $374.

I still need to deal with the oil light, it probably needs a new pump, not sure yet. Perhaps I'll disconnect it altogether and mix oil in directly with the fuel.

I'll search around here for how to perform the SeaFoam treatment.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you might need to clean and flush the oil system., but converting to pre mix is very easy.
VRO conversion w/ pump still working

if the fuel side on your Pump is still working it is very simple. unplug the 2 line harness going to the oil tank, unplug the 3 or 4 wire harness, going to the Vro pump. cut and cap the oil line going into the motor. add oil to fuel tank, mix well, then remove fuel line at top carb, catching gas in a container, pump the fuel line bulb until you get premixed gas to the carb. you can tell as it will change color. put line back on carb, and go boating.

Buoybuoy

Cadet

tashasdaddy,

Thank you for your response. It sounds like you're recommending that I first clean and flush the oil system prior to resorting to the pre-mix solution.

My service manual has not arrived yet and I've been unable to find the procedures for cleaning and flushing the oil system here within this forum. Can you provide any insight here?

After I clean and flush the oil systems, is there a way for me to test the pump or should I then just assume that the pump is defective if the oil system has already been cleaned and flushed?

Thanks again :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remove and drain the tank and hoses, flush with gas, diesel fuel, kerosene. reassemble, fill tank. before connecting back to the motor, prime the oil line till you get oil. connect, then reprime. now to test it. i like to use portable tanks for this. mix in the tank 50:1 fuel oil. mark the oil level on the oil tank. now run the motor on the water. then caluclate how much oil was used out of the tank. hopefully the system is working. the premixed fuel will cause a little more smoke than normal, but it is the insurance, that if the oil mixing system is not working, you do not ruin your motor.

your motor should have the OMS pump, that mixes at 50:1 constantly.

Buoybuoy

Cadet

tashasdaddy,

Geez, I really appreciate your help. I will do all as you suggest, and I found your procedure for running Seafoam on another thread, and thanks for that too.

You are the man! Have a great day!