How do you jump solenoid/starter ?

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I must not be doing it right because I am having the same results on my 90 Evinrude and 70 Merc. Bendix's spin but do not engage the fly wheels. I don't have the throttle or ignition hooked up to either of them. Can anybody describe or provide a diagram where the jumper wire would connect to and from if battery is connected properly ?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: How do you jump solenoid/starter ?

Just jump from the top post to the bottom post on the solenoid, if you are getting the starter to hit I think you are doing it right.

Is your battery fully charged?

Maybe clean the bendix but don't oil it, oil attracts crap which will make it gum up again.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have 2 large post on the solenoid, incoming pos cable from battery, and outgoing pos to start. if wire correctly, you jump from the incoming pos post to the small post next to it. if not then the other small post. it you get nothing, then suspect the solenoid.

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are jumping between the large terminals you need to use a large gauge wire or you will not get enough current to operate the starter properly.

If you have 2 small terminals and jumping to either one gets you nothing dont assume its the solenoid. One of the small terminals is a ground for the solenoid and may be grounded through a safety switch. If that ground/switch is bad you wont get the starter to work.

If you only have 1 small terminal then your solenoid is grounded through the case. In that case jumping from the battery side to the small terminal should run the starter. If it doesnt or the solenoid doesnt click suspect a bad solenoid.