Rpm

yamprop

Recruit
Hi can anyone help me with some troubleshooting on my yamaha 150 two stroke.I am unable to obtain more than 4600 rpm out of the engine. I have had the engine serviced , carbs and jets cleaned .All cylinders are firing as the pots are hot .New rako fuel filter installed , and am runing the engine off a seperat caddy tank , water free.The prop is the same prop used when the engine obtained 5800 rpm before.My maintinance facility say i might have water in the hull , but with two men on the boat ( 19.5 foot) it gets on the plane at 2400 rpm , so i have my doubts about that.When i power up the engine is running smoothe , i obtain 4600 rpm wit 3/4 throttle but when i move to full throttle the engine sits at 4600 rpm.Any help would be appreciated.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rpm

post the full model number so we know what we are dealing with... can only help with what we are reading.

was it a gradual loss of rpms over time or all of a sudden one day?
has a link and synch been performed?
are orange spark plug caps in spec?
has the TPS been checked and adjusted?

yamprop

Recruit

Hi cousinabe.Thanks for the reply.Im not to sure of the model no , but it ia as 150 twostroke , about ten years old.It was a sudden loss of rpm and not gradual.There is full travel onthe carbs , and the plug caps are not a problem.I have however been told that genuine yamaha plugs could make a difference.Please advise on a TPC check.Thank you for your help.yamprop.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

we dont even know if you HAVE a TPS.
10 years ago there were about 7 150 HP yamahas and some used different fuel and ign systems.
we can ID it with a full model number.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

not meaning to hijack but I was getting ready to post a similar question so if you don't mind, two birds/one stone:
2003 Yam 150TXRB 2 stroke carb.
Yesterday ran for first time in 10 days. A little funky on starting as usual. ran great at its sweet spot at 4000. Decided to open up for a burn off. First time, no response, as if the throttle were disconnected. backed down, went back up to 4000, then to full: this time the engine made a slow climb to about 4900 and speed up to around 35 (have achieved top of 48 mph @ c. 5400, same load). Adjusted trim tabs and motor trim to find top end, no real help. If I hadn't seen better #s I'd say it was underpropped.
Also got some rattling from the engine but it didn't feel l ike it was missing.
new fuel, stabilized with a seperator. New plugs <30 hrs ago by dealer service.
To distill: unresponsive to throttle above 4000, slow climb, not achieving top end. Rattling. New problem.
thanks!