Is it safe to run my motor at full throttle (60hp merc)

Amdavis76

Cadet
Hi guys, I have a 60hp 4-stroke and was just curious if you guys run your motors at full throttle? I have only owned smaller engines before (15hp and lower) and have had no problem running them at full throttle, but with the bigger motors I'm not sure.

Thanks!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Is it safe to run my motor at full throttle (60hp merc)

Yes you can..But..by doing so repeatedly it will reduce engine life, you will notice the difference in actual speed from 4700 rpm to max throttle isn't alot,So your best bet is drop it down..increase engine life, not to mention burn ALOT less fuel.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will hit full throttle planing out my boat, and then back it down a little. It saves on a LOT of gas, and is not near as hard on the engine.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The term full throttle should probably not be used in this context. You should abide by the manufacturers max RPM rating instead. A prop mismatch could cause you to exceed max RPM at full throttle and damage the engine severely. Therefore, if you ask, can you run your engine at max RPM's the answer is yes, and all the previous responses are 100% correct.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

The term full throttle should probably not be used in this context. You should abide by the manufacturers max RPM rating instead. A prop mismatch could cause you to exceed max RPM at full throttle and damage the engine severely. Therefore, if you ask, can you run your engine at max RPM's the answer is yes, and all the previous responses are 100% correct.

Good suggestions.