Anybody make their own lure scent???

JustJason

Vice Admiral
I see the berkely gulps... the van damm scented stuff on the shelves. Anybody make their own that they swear by?

I've been thinking about blending up a bunch of cocktail shrimp and mixing it with a light vegtable oil and letting it sit. Anybody else try anything crazy like that with any sucess?

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: Anybody make their own lure scent???

There are those who use smelt in a blender, olive oil, and anise extract to make scent. I have not done it but it is worth a shot. I use Baitmate products and Yum myself.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I used to make catfish bait in the kitchen,but every time my wife started screaming about rotting animal smells and kicked me out of the kitchen.Nowadays I only fish for trout.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Open up an unexpensive can of sardines (with oil) ... dump the small fish and the oil in a zip lock ... and you favorite soft bait and let stand overnight.

Messy when you put em on a hook ... but attracks big fish.

And you can use the sardines for chumming ...

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did the smelts in a blender, put in a jar and the fish oil went to the top works great on a spoon. Wrap some yarn on the hook shank and put the oil on it. Oh and don't use a good blender or you will get in deep @#$#.

j_martin

Admiral

My wife learned long ago that when I start oggling a kitchen appliance with lure making in mind, she gets to the thrift store pronto and gets me one of my own.

She usually beats me fishing, but I got her the other night. We got into a bass a cast school of 2 pounders about sundown, and she netted my limit before she could get her line wet..........It's my turn.:D

Oh, the topic is scent. I've used anise oil, and garlic n oil. (crush the garlic and put it in some mineral or canola oil for a day, then filter out the chunks. Kick-N-Bass crawfish scent has been so good to me that I use it most of the time.