Trailer Concerns?

Formula3LS

Recruit
I'm thinking about purchasing a boat that comes with a trailer, however, the trailer has not been used in 5 years. It has been in a heated garage out of the elements for this entire time, but is there anything I should be concerned about. The trailer was purchased in 2000 and according to the current owner has little use. I need to transport the boat about 200 miles on the trailer. The tires appear to be in good condition and there doesn't seems to be any rust.

What else should I be looking at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer Concerns?

repack trailer bearings,and check that the lights work.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And air up the tires to the pressure indicated on the sidewall.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... have a spare handy for your trip.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Trailers are pretty durable, so I don't think there would be a problem if you do the checks in the previous posts. I'm assuming the trailer was made for the boat, but if not, be sure the bunks are also properly adjusted.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jack up the trailer and spin the wheel. Make sure it spins freely and there are no clicking or grinding noises. Then grab opposite sides of the tire and try to rock the wheel - a slight tick is all that's permissible. Visually inspect the tire for bulges or cracks at full inflation. If any wheel doesn't pass these tests I'd hesitate to move the trailer any distance.

If the trailer has brakes and the gross weight is over 3000 lbs, based on your question, I'd have it professionally evaluated.

Formula3LS

Recruit

Thanks everyone for all quick replies and great advice. I'll check the items mentioned in the prior posts before trailering the boat any great distance.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

What is the weight capacity of the trailer and the weight of your boat?

Be prepared to replace the tires before your trip (or make sure you have good spares) if they have sat for that long. My trailer sat for two years (boat was in dry dock and only used the trailer to take the boat in for warranty work) before I started a trip across the country. Blown tire on day one. Blown tire on day two, 4 new tires and no more problems for the next 3 days.

nlain

Commander

Check the tires closely, I recently made a road trip to Fl for the iboats get together, in getting things ready for the trip I had to work on the brakes, I pulled the tires and noticed cracks in the grooves of the tread, sidewalls looked great but not the tread area, these tires were just over 5 years old and normally the trailer does not leave my yard since the water is out the back gate. So check the tires carefully.