Looking for info on a motor

Scottydawg

Cadet
Hey everybody. Someone gave me this motor. It is a Chrysler and it says "Sailor 250" on the front. I am new to boat motors. Can anyone tell me what it is and point me to where I can get a repair manual for it (free is best). Atleast how to find out what year and HP it is.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help

The Chrysler sailor model engine was an electric start, alternator charging engine. It was extra long shaft with a lower gear ratio and larger propeller than standard model outboards. It was made specifically for transoms of sailboats and was geared to move a displacement hull through the water, as well as being a source of low amperage 12 volt current. The prop on it will usually be a 10 3/8 diameter prop same as was used on the 35, 45, and 55 horsepower engines.

It will be somewhere around 10-25 horsepower. You can tell by the model number plate. This will be an aluminum plate inside the lower housing USUALLY on the side, near the exhaust cover. This plate will have a model number AND it will give the horespower generated at a specific RPM.

On ebay, sailor model engines of any brand usually command a premium price. They were more expensive than the regular production models and usually, not as many were made. If the engine is running, even though it is old, it is not too far fetched to expect to get 250 for it, and possibly more. Whoever gave it to you really did you a favor.

Scottydawg

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I should be able to get it running with a set of plugs and mabe a good bath for the carb. Any way I can tell what year it is or does that not really matter.

Scottydawg

Cadet

OK, I went and looked again and this time I found the tag. It is a 10HP motor. I can not see anything though that tells me a year on it anywhere. Also, does 10 HP really mean 10 or does it mean 9.9? The reason I ask is because many places are illegal if it is above 9.9. Sorry if that is a stupid question. Like I said before... I am a newbie.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It is 10 horsepower. However, Chrysler engines never put out the same horsepower as Mercury for example. Mercury always under-rated their engines so their 9.9 probably deliverd 10-11 HP.

At any rate, the boat police will probably stop you because the badge says 25. The best thing to do would be to remove the logo and just run it as a 9.9. It is no larger than the 9.9 and indeed the hoods were swappable. In fact, in later years, I believe the Force 9.9 was a de-rated Chrysler 15.

HOWEVER. if you have a 15 inch high transom that you are intending to put the engine on, it will not give good results. And, it still may not give good results on a 20 inch high transom. As I said, these engines were specifically designed for the high sailboat transoms. They were designed to deliver high thrust at a lower speed to move a displacement hull and were not suited for a planing hull like a flat bottom jon boat. They are excellent kicker engines for emergency use or trolling a boat with a larger main engine. However, it is possible to by a regular lower unit and swap it onto it. Look for them on the auctions. Almost any 9.9-15 Chrysler lower unit will swap right on with little to no modifications.

If you get the model number, someone here will tell you the year it is, although for all purposes, the engines were the same for a good number of years. Looking at the hood and midleg design, that engine dates somewhere between the mid 1970s and early 1980s.