envinrude 115 shifting problems

I think my problem is in the lower unit. Motor will not shift in reverse, but if I put a little pressure on the lever in the engine compartment it will go into reverse. Removed the cable from lever and I can not shift it into any gear. I can use a bad against the lever and force it into reverse. I'm thinking my problem might be with the shift lever in the lower unit. If so do I need any special tools to repair my problem? Or is this just change out the lower unit for $800. thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: envinrude 115 shifting problems

what year and model #??? is this a new problem? has the lower unit been off for service, and the problem started? was the motor running when you were trying to change gears manually. if the clutch dog is in just the correct position it will not let you change gears, motor either needs to be running, or some needs to turn the prop by hand when shifting.

Re: envinrude 115 shifting problems

I think the motor is a 2000. I have owned this boat almost a year now. From the beginning I would have to move the control much further back to get reverse to work, but it always worked. Now reverse or forward will not work from the controls. The control cables are moving but not going into gear. If I push the lever in the engine compartment where both the throttle and shift cable connect it will go into reverse. I disconnected the shift cable whith engine running I could not get it to shift into gear. If I lean on it with a large screwdrive it will go into gear. Since it's so hard to shift into gear with the cable disconnected make me think that problem might be with the shift lever in the lower unit. Maybe bent or broken, worn or something.