Mercruiser Warranty Claims

icewormer

Cadet
I'm looking for anyone with experience handling a Mercruiser Warranty claim that's been wrongfully denied -- preferrably those who have successfully secured claim coverage!

My wife and I have been very patient with the dealer, but Mercruiser has been unresponsive for months and we've done everything the dealer suggested. (Even to the point of filing suit against Mercruiser.)

We've already missed an entire boating season and we're anxious to get back on the water with our boys this summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And if you know anyone at Mercruiser who can make some calls to get the motor repaired or replaced under warranty, that would be GREAT!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser Warranty Claims

Can you give an explanation on the events leading up to this claim for a motor.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i would say if you have allready filed a law suit against mercuriser your ship has sailed.

why wouldnt they be just as well off to settle in court at this point?

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Can you give an explanation on the events leading up to this claim for a motor.

Yes, more info please, inquiring minds want to know.

I've filed plenty of merc warr claims and rarely get denied. Of the ones denied I've gotten them all straightened out. On the other hand if I file a claim it's legit warr stuff.

James

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'm looking for anyone with experience handling a Mercruiser Warranty claim that's been wrongfully denied -- preferrably those who have successfully secured claim coverage!

My wife and I have been very patient with the dealer, but Mercruiser has been unresponsive for months and we've done everything the dealer suggested. (Even to the point of filing suit against Mercruiser.)

We've already missed an entire boating season and we're anxious to get back on the water with our boys this summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And if you know anyone at Mercruiser who can make some calls to get the motor repaired or replaced under warranty, that would be GREAT!

Howdy,

Soooo, can you be just a little more specific on what exactly what claim was denied?

Cheers,

Rick

icewormer

Cadet

We're working through the process, but they wrote us off from the start to "improper winterization" following an engine failure that resulted in cracked risers and a cracked block on our first outing last year. The engine started and idled with no apparent problems, but when my wife picked me up at the dock and left the no-wake zone we lost compression and overtemp signals began. I stopped the engine immediately and checked for any problems. The risers were NOT cracked and there was absolutely NO water in the boat. I inadvertantly touched a riser with my hand and it was scalding hot. (Yes. I immediately backflipped into the water to mitigate the injury -- entertaining for the children and an impressive athletic feat for my wife.) We waited several minutes then idled back and took it to the nearest Mercruiser authorized dealer who helped us check for obvious issues -- nothing found. We pulled the drive and checked the impellar -- no problems. No evidence of cracking or other issues. The service tech believed this left only the thermostat, so we swapped it out and everything seemed back to normal when we returned the dock and dropped it into the water. After a few minutes there was a loud "pop" accompanied by over temp signals again with water pouring into the engine compartment.

As expected, I've asked a lot of questions since the failure and my understanding is that the "pop" was the core plug release. We have less than 40 hours on the boat, so we decided to take it back to the "premier" dealer who sold it to us. They could not determine what caused the failure, but said the damage was consistent with "improper winterization" and asked whether or not they serviced it. All of our service work prior to the failure had been with their dealership EXCEPT for winterization. I grew up around boats and have winterized my own boats for years without a problem. The first winterization for this new boat had no problems. This was the second winterization and -- by the Service Manager's own account -- I went well beyond the recommended procedures. The only thing the dealer does differently is double-check the antifreeze, and I understand that it's highly likelyhood of that being so far out of spec to cause this type of damage.

Our Service Manager supposedly submitted all of the info to Mercruiser who determined that it was improper winterization. I questioned the finding and Mercruiser explained that the dealers were the "eyes and ears" for them in the field, so they have to rely on their expertise in making determinations. I questioned the Service Manager and he assured me that he didn't know what caused the problem or exactly why Mercruiser denied the claim. We convinced Mercruiser to send a field tech for review and he was supposed to meet me at the dealership to revisit the claim, address each issue and answer any questions. Our dealership is an hour away and I was rear-ended soon after leaving my house. I called the dealership to notify them immediately after speaking with the off-duty Sheriff that happened to be on the scene. I called again to let them know exactly when to expect me. The tech was not there yet, but they were communicating with him. I was about 20 mintues late. The tech came and left without notice. We tried calling him and spoke at length with Mercruiser that morning, left messages for the tech, etc. without success. The tech never responded to me or the dealer. Mercruiser "conceded" to process the claim under warranty, but assured the dealer they would charge them on the backend unless they found evidence to prove something other than winterization caused the problem. That was acceptable to me so long as the dealer was willing to eat the cost knowing that they could not determine the cause, but that wouldn't be fair to the dealer. The dealer advised we wait for further response. So we waited... and waited... I could continue on, but the post is already longer than I originally intended. Suffice it to say that the owner of the dealership tried to coordinate with Mercruiser last fall without success, at which time he advised that we sue Mercruiser. We've followed the dealer's lead throughout the entire process, which brings us to this point...

icewormer

Cadet

i would say if you have allready filed a law suit against mercuriser your ship has sailed.

why wouldnt they be just as well off to settle in court at this point?

Sorry for the delay -- I appreciate all of the prompt replies!

Mercruiser and the dealership didn't leave us many options, so we've tried to make the best of it. My wife and I never anticipated suing anyone, I'm confident we would all be better off if they simply honor the warranty, but who knows what will develop next. Integrity be a priority no matter what the situation. But even if you're only in it for the money, wouldn't you want to provide the best possible customer service and keep happy customers when you're obviously not selling as many boats these days...?

icewormer

Cadet

Yes, more info please, inquiring minds want to know.

I've filed plenty of merc warr claims and rarely get denied. Of the ones denied I've gotten them all straightened out. On the other hand if I file a claim it's legit warr stuff.

James

Good policy. We take good care of our boat and I expect you do, too. We've just been very fortunate to have little experience with warranty claims. How did you resolve those claims that were originally denied?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

1. I've never seen a core plug pop while underway. Much less with an audible sound

2. I've seen more cracked blocks with core plugs still installed.

3. Is your block cracked or not? Water in the oil or not? Hate to say it but if the block is cracked.... only 1 way that happened. I meet lots of people every year who absolutely swear that they did their own winterization properly.... but the truth is in the block... and blocks don't lie.

icewormer

Cadet

1. I've never seen a core plug pop while underway. Much less with an audible sound

2. I've seen more cracked blocks with core plugs still installed.

3. Is your block cracked or not? Water in the oil or not? Hate to say it but if the block is cracked.... only 1 way that happened. I meet lots of people every year who absolutely swear that they did their own winterization properly.... but the truth is in the block... and blocks don't lie.

1. I the sound I heard was a crisp, distinct "pop" or perhaps a heavy "ping" but I couldn't identify the source. It was only after-the-fact when the Mercruiser field tech supposedly reviewed the claim that he found the actual core plug. The local Service Manager at the dealer suggested that may have been what I heard, and it seemed consistent based on the their explanation.

2. I'd have to check the oil again myself, but there was no evidence of water in the oil when we inspected the engine with the dealer at the time of failure. Nor was there any evidence of cracking or water in the boat at the time of failure. Once water was in the boat, we knew it wasn't a simple fix and called it a day. I wouldn't have taken it to the nearest dealer at all in that situation. (In fact, I doubt we would have made it back to the dock at all with the amount of water that later poured into the engine compartment.) There simply was no apparent damage at the time of failure. We all make mistakes, but I carefully inspected everything and I have no reason to believe that dealer was mistaken in his assessment. We replaced the thermostat and suddenly everything appeared to be good until the "pop" at which time the damage was evident.

3. Good question and good point. It was not cracked at the time of failure when we inspected with the dealer. I dropped it off at the dealer where we purchased the boat later that night. After a few days I was informed that it was cracked. It certainly appears to be cracked at this point -- that's puzzling to say the least. For example, if we play the devil's advocate and the core plug were out on our first launch there should have been a significant amount of water in the boat and in the oil, and the source would be rather obvious. On the other hand, with the core plug in I would expect to find at least some water in the boat and evidence of cracking.

Let's also consider that we did everything properly to winterize the boat. Is it possible that some internal failure prevented water from completely draining the block during winterization? I've asked these questions before and the Service Manager claims it's possible, but doesn't believe Mercruiser would recognize that possibility. Mercruiser has yet to respond. The owner of the dealership now claims (off-the-record, of course) that he thinks the thermostat was bad at the time of winterization. What to you think? Do you work for a dealer?

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

that would make sense. Frozen thermostat keeping your antifreeze from getting into the motor.

icewormer

Cadet

If that were the case. Why was there no evidence of cracking on the first launch? Is that typical? Why didn't my Service Manager simply state that from the beginning? Wouldn't that be covered under warranty, too?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Is it possible that some internal failure prevented water from completely draining the block during winterization

Ya........ Rust. If you did it yourself did you use the blue hoses? Or did you do it the right way and remove the hoses and get in there with a small screwdriver or piece of stiff wire.
You don't necessarily need antifreeze, because air doesn't freeze, but it does cut down on internal corrosion.

Why was there no evidence of cracking on the first launch? Is that typical? Why didn't my Service Manager simply state that from the beginning? Wouldn't that be covered under warranty, too?

Rust again can plug a small crack for a while... until the rust gets blown out anyways. No cracking is not covered under warranty. When I summerize a boat I check for leaks... but I don't go around the block with a mirror looking for cracks either. I've never had an engine that I winterized crack... But i've seen alot of them.

Anyways.... What engine is this? What kind of cooling system? You either have a cracked block or you don't. Whats the area around the core plug look like? Bulged... or normal.

You say this has been going on for a year (or at least you said you already missed an entire boating season) And you don't know if the block is cracked or not? If it doesn't look cracked go ahead in put a new core plug in it (or if inaccessable... use a tempory rubber one). Check the oil... then start her up and see if she leaks.