Can't get boat off trailer..

pwfish1

Seaman
the problem is there is no way to block the boat on any of the outside edges where it's strongest and double riveted. it's a roller trailer with side rails, when i block corners the lights are in the way to pull out trailer, light bracket is welded so can't remove, move in a foot on transom, i can get in but block needs to be narrow to allow roller to sqeeze by, by narrow i mean less than width of cinder block becus thats what i'm using as base. plus, when i lower trailer on tounge to get height, then jack up to block the trailer always moves a bit and disturbes block becus it's so narrow.

i can get to a spot but it's not on a edge, it's right in middle of boat on outside of chine, a foot in from transom....if i use about a 12x12 sq piece of something, is there any chance of popping thru the hull??...the boat has no weight in it and only has notor on it, 60hp and boat is 17ft cc alum.

really can't be popping thru hull......i do have 2 ski hooks on stern, could rig something to suspend from rafters if sure hooks will hold.

all ideas appreciated.

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can't get boat off trailer..

Can you release the winch 6" or 8", push the boat back on the trailer and then block ?

erikgreen

Captain

A boat that size you can almost have 5-6 guys pick it up and pull it off. Or alternatively lay a bed of tires on the ground, tie the boat to a stake or tree, release the winch and chains, and drive the trailer out from under, leaving the boat sitting on the tires..

A 12x12 piece of anything that isn't a sharp pointed object will not punch through or likely even dent the hull.

FYI I can support my 2 ton FRP boat on a jack that's padded with a short piece of standard 2x4 on the keel without damage, and your boat is much lighter.

Erik

pwfish1

Seaman

72, sometimes i wonder if i got a full deck.....that should do it, it's easy to slid it a few ft and get better access.

thanks for responses, can't wait to get home and try again.

redfury

Commander

You should have little problem getting that boat off the trailer if you have a place to chain/strap the boat to like a tree. I pulled my 17ft glastron off a bunk trailer more than once by simply strapping the transom to a tree and then pull the trailer forward and bracing the keel as I went, with supports on the edges of the boat so it wouldn't tilt...just used car supports with rags/wood.

I had it lower than the trailer when I had it off before, and got it back on the trailer pretty easily just using the winch. Slide the trailer as far as you can under the boat with the strap attached to the eye and start cranking. Leave the trailer unattached. The trailer will align itself with the boat, and once you get past the point where the boat/trailer are sitting neutral, you can drop the tongue onto the ball of your tow vehicle and then finish cranking the boat onto the trailer.