Merc 500 Is it worth Repair

Fox1011

Cadet
I have a 1969 Merc 500 on my old Jayco Boat. Engine serial number is 2629343. It ran great last year(after some minor tune up work.)

This year it ran great for awhile. The engine now needs a new starter solenoid ($85.00). When I do get it to turn over it will not start and I see some drops of water coming out of the top Cylinder maybe right from the sparkplug. I do not see any cracks but the drops are coming from somewhere.

This is not sounding very good to me.
Should I get the new solenoid? Is it fairly commen to have water coming from around spark plug holes? Sound like a cracked Head?

Any help, advise, would be greatly appreciated.

Ed (Land Lubber For Now)

Attachments

• 515452-R1-040-18A_020.jpg
    515452-R1-040-18A_020.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Merc 500 Is it worth Repair

Where do you live? I'll buy it off off you for a parts motor... i have a 66.

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The water you see could be coming from the cylinder block cover gasket. ($6 part) I have a 1965 Merc 500 and I'm leary about putting money into it also. But, I was able to pick up a 1968 Merc 500 for $50. Between the two, I should have one good motor for quite some time. I really love the performance, sound and period look of these motors. If it ran great last year, I would probably replace the starter solenoid and gasket. Check the fuel pump diaphragm to see if it needs replaced.

Hey Andy, how do you like your 66 Merc 500? I was reading through past topics and came across a few that involved your purchase of that motor.

Andy in NY

Commander

The water you see could be coming from the cylinder block cover gasket. ($6 part) I have a 1965 Merc 500 and I'm leary about putting money into it also. But, I was able to pick up a 1968 Merc 500 for $50. Between the two, I should have one good motor for quite some time. I really love the performance, sound and period look of these motors. If it ran great last year, I would probably replace the starter solenoid and gasket. Check the fuel pump diaphragm to see if it needs replaced.

Hey Andy, how do you like your 66 Merc 500? I was reading through past topics and came across a few that involved your purchase of that motor.

it was a rocky start, partly due to operator error. this is my first boat, so my first time out i couldnt get it to go. seems i was shifting into gear then using the warm up lever to try and throttle. oops. after that it ran good, but over the course of the summer got pretty sluggish. just rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump and it runs AWESOME now.

And I agree, i like the sound, performance and look of this motor. i think it looks better than it did with the rude that was on it when i got it.

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, I had the same rocky start, as this was my first boat and outboard motor purchase too. :eek:

ehenry

Commander

Those old Merc 500s are some Stone Pony engines. I ran one for years until the boat itself wore out. The engine was still going strong.

Fox1011

Cadet

Thanks for the information.

Andy, I live in Michigan. I really want to get this one running but I will let you know if the fixes don't work for me.

I have the starter Soledoid now. I will have to look for the gasket.

Is it possible that water is getting inside and keeping the engine from running?

I do have a Clymer Manual for this motor but I am not sure it shows me how to replace the Cylinder Block Cover Gasket. Would that involve taking the whole power head off?

Ed

Last edited: