91-94 force 150 ingition problem

Kota

Recruit
I am not getting any spark, I think its the brain but I want to be sure. I have the book but I don't know if my engine has the Motorola distributor ignition or the Breaker points ignition. Does anyone out there know how to tell the difference? Or know what my motor has? Any help would be great.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 91-94 force 150 ingition problem

Your engine has some version of Prestolite ignition. If you are getting no spark on any cylinder, before you jump to confusions, check the kill switch and the ignition switch. You have five triggers under the flywheel, three charging coils on the stator, three CD boxes, and five coils. It is too much coincidence that all of these components would be bad. At least one spark plug should fire if some of the components were bad.

SO: is the clip inserted into the kill switch? Is the ignition switch wired correctly? White and blue wires each connect to one "M" terminal, and must be connected to their respective terminals on the engine terminal board near the starter.

A quick test would be to disconnect the (white) wires from the CD boxes to the engine terminal near the starter. Not sure on the 150, these wires may be another color. At any rate, they are part of the stop circuit and if you get spark with them disconnected, then for sure the problem is in either the kill switch or the ignition switch. It could also be in the cable that runs from the engine to the ignition switch.

Kota

Recruit

THANK YOU - I'm going to check it this weekend. I appreciate your time.

Tanz

Cadet

The Force 150 hp could be a Thunderbolt Ignition. At the engine terminal board there are 8 Terminals: ?Start?, ?Tachometer?, ?Stop?, ?Choke?,
?Overheat?, ?Positive(+)?, ?Stop2? and ?Ground?.

?Stop?=Black/Yellow (or White) and ?Stop? position is located third down from the top, it connects to one "M? at back of the ignition keyswitch.
?Stop2? =Blue/Black (or Blue) and at the engine terminal ?Stop2? is located seven down from the top and it connects to the other "M? at the back of the ignition keyswitch.

Don't forget he Neutral Interlock switch (which may be located on engine) it could be acting up, even if gear is in neutral the switch may not be recognizing neutral, so check it also. Another switch that the 150 may have is a tilt switch, which prevents the motor from being started out of the water in the tilt up position. Finally, test the ignition key switch to see if it is faulty.
To save time, aggravation and unnecessary parts, you might disconnect the battery and bring the key switch and engine harness to the engine and with your multimeter test the continuity of the connections, wires and keyswitch all at the same time. Clicking through all the keyswitch positions, test the start, run, choke (push-in) positions.
Doing all of the above should insure everything is wired properly and is in good working order. I would suggest you do these simple tests first before you start digging deeper.