73 rude 50hp nightmare

wayne7339

Recruit
First am I am new to iboats.com and to boating alltogether. I do have a manual on this engine so I cant get bashed for not having one. lol

With that being said I have a 73 evinrude 50 hp 50373R that has drove me crazy. It has sat for 4 years (2 1/2 on its side in the dirt) (1 1/2 in a shed upright). I put it on my 79 14'2 whites fiberglass INC. boat and gave it a stirdy bath. I wanted to fire it up to even see if it would run so I had to put 2 coils on it ( they were missing) and fresh gas 50:1 mix. It started after about 10 min of messing with it. and I let it run a few sec and shut it off. I then put the muffs on it and got it to run with out having to stay on the throttle. I noticed I wasn't getting the warm water comming out the exh but some was comming out of the ports on the foot. I orderd a w/p and put it on and started it up and it took forever to start. When it started the water was commong out the exh and the ports and was warm so I was happy that was fixed. I then put a tub of water under it to get the backpressure need to properly adj the carbs. I then went to start it and 45 min later no luck. I was getting fire and has new plugs in it. Every time I would go and prime the bulb it would get hard after 1 pump. I resorted to spraying mix directly into the carb and it would fire up and run for about 5 sec then die. Now in my frame of mind I thought scence I had it running the day before for 10 min on its own it should do the same today. WRONG I was cranking it for about 10 sec and let it set for about 20 to cool off the starter. Well as my luck would have it I started to crank and all I herd was a click and seen smoke comming from the starter area. I went to look and there lays the bottom of the starter with the brushes hanging out under the starter. Needless to say I cursed like a sailor and wanted to give it the 10 lbs treatment:D Well I didn't but it would of felt nice to get my anger out on it. All of this would of been avoided if I only would of redone the carbs. Lesson learned the hard way. I am on a fixed income and wanted to get it running before I fix the hole in the glass and replace the stringers. Every thing on the engine seems fine other than the carbs,starter,and no fuel pump.(I was greavty feeding the carbs the whole time).
Now what else should I do to make sure I dont have anymore issues with this? I wanted to get a used starter brushkit/or starter and rebuild the carbs But I have had a hard time finding used parts here in panama city (seems odd to me lol). Does anyone have a clue on where I can locate used parts cheap? As I stated I am on a fixed income and money is tight. (Makes me wonder why I got a boat in the first place.) Any help would be greatful and Thank You in advance. Wayne

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 73 rude 50hp nightmare

do the carbs, watch ebay for a fuel pump, and maybe a starter. does your starter have any marking on it. they used 2 starters

Prestolite or American Bosch

Part Number: 0384163

Description: MOTOR AY, STARTER
Pack Qty: 1
Dimensions: 9.50 x 7.00 x 6.00 (in)
Weight: 6.24 lbs
Equivalent Parts: 0389275,0585063,0586280,0778993

fuel pump

Part Number: 0385784
Description: FUEL PUMP AY
Pack Qty: 1
Dimensions: 3.50 x 3.50 x 2.25 (in)
Weight: 0.44 lbs
Equivalent Parts: 0395712,0398385,0433390,0438559

wayne7339

Recruit

I have the American Bosch starter. I looked on ebay and some ppl thing there stuff is better than gold. I will keep looking.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You may be able to rebuild the starter or have it rebuiilt.
A motor that has sat that long will need you to go through the fuel system from tank to carb with special attention to cleaning,especially the passages and jets in the carb(s)Typically these motor will start and run but will continue to run for shorter and shorter times.
When put in the water may not run at all.

wayne7339

Recruit

Well I got the carbs off and cleaned. I ran a small wire through them and made sure they was clear. The adj screw was out 1 1/2 turns on each one. I read that I whould start with 5/8 turn and go from there. 30 bucks for the kits wasnt too bat and there is nothing o them. as soon as i get the starter kit ill let you all know how it goes.