Looking for a new tube...

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking for a new tube in the 100-200 dollar range. Anyone really love theirs?...Not looking for those "gimmicky" ones, but one that works well, is fun, and durable. 1-2 person desireable. Any ideas? Let me know why...

Rogue427

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Looking for a new tube...

There is alot of tube's to chose from. My kids like the sportstuff half pipe and the older kids like the hot dog. You can find some good deals on used tubes and watch for sale's.

haulnazz15

Captain

I have a Connelly Cruizer 2-person tube which is one of the best I've ridden on so far. It is a delta-shape, has neoprene-wrapped handles, knuckle guards, and elbow/knee guards so it saves any abrasion from the canvas. Easy to tow and it is a ride-on-top style instead of the sit-in style. Makes it easier to control behind the boat as well.

Once you learn the trick to controling it, I can keep it planted on all but the craziest of water conditions/drivers.

Here's a link ti a picture of it: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...uizer&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&sa=N&um=1

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I personally like the sit in or sit up on ones, where the torso, head, and neck are somewhat aligned vertically. The neck and head take a heck of a beating when laying on your stomach and going over bumps. I don't think the body and brain stem are meant to do that.

And, yes, I have studied the brain, brain stem, cognitive effects of brain injury, etc, neuropsychology, etc. What I fear with the lay down ones is subtle effects of "coup-countercoup". Have you ever had a headache after riding laying down?

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice guys...

That connelly one is the style I think I'm looking for (much like the airhead big slice), though it is worth noting that it's probably not the safest/best for your back/neck. I think the sit in ones are a bit to leisurely for me, very driving ms daisy like. I'd like a more agressive one even at the risk. Thank you for the warning though, you can't ever be too safe.

What's the approx diameter of that cruzer?

haulnazz15

Captain

Thanks for the advice guys...

That connelly one is the style I think I'm looking for (much like the airhead big slice), though it is worth noting that it's probably not the safest/best for your back/neck. I think the sit in ones are a bit to leisurely for me, very driving ms daisy like. I'd like a more agressive one even at the risk. Thank you for the warning though, you can't ever be too safe.

What's the approx diameter of that cruzer?

You know I'm not sure what the diameter is, but I haven't ever had any back, neck pain whatsoever. No one out of the 8-10 people (ages 7-25) has ever complained of any pain from riding on it, except for the bruised ribs from crashing :) . I would guess it's about 72" at the widest point, maybe 80" max. I've pulled it with a 20' ski boat, a 17ft bass boat, and 98 Kawasaki Jet Ski. All had no problems with it, even with 2 200lb guys on it.

Actually, the most comfortable riding position for me is sitting on my knees, but I like to shift weight and we pull a bit faster than you would with most people. I have layed on my stomach though and most do it that way with no problems. The sit-in style tubes cause you to have no support underneathe your stomach, which would be way worse than the flat top ones. I dislike the ones where you just "sit" in them with a backrest because it's no fun. You aren't able to do anything but just sit there.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hear you, I am getting older and more safety conscious -- practically over the hill!

There is no driving miss-daisy behind my boat. Even when sitting, you have to lean to help control the tube. There is nothing boring about how we do it.

Our main event is to do a series of double-ups with the wake, versus whipping someone out of the wake at rates of speed that are dangerous. As a barefoot water skier, I know all about going faster then 40 mph over water with no skis on!

In your driving miss daisy position I am still capable of launching you 10 feet in the air when I hit my double-upped wake perfectly. You will just shoot straight up, versus topple over side-ways and skid uncontrollably over the water for 10-15 feet.

haulnazz15

Captain

In your driving miss daisy position I am still capable of launching you 10 feet in the air when I hit my double-upped wake perfectly. You will just shoot straight up, versus topple over side-ways and skid uncontrollably over the water for 10-15 feet.

I do mixtures of both the whip and the doubled-wake. We normally don't tow over 25-30mph, but the whips cause that tube to move at 50-60 mph, so it's best to use that move sparingly. :)

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice. good discussion all the way around. I'm 27 (and I still love to tube) and though I probably don't feel things like that now (besides the whiteknuckle arm cramps etc), I'm sure that's the sort of stuff you hear people talking about as they age..."I should've never"...hence why people are always warning you.

I bet you (willy) can launch!...you sound like you've got lots of driving experience. I also am a huge fan of the constructive wave interference. The best is swinging people out of the wake right into some of those 5-6 foot man made constructive swells -- for some huge launches. Much more fun than just turning so sharp that they flip. I gotta admit, I think driving the boat is probably more fun than the tubing!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My signature move is to swing them out as I make my complete turn and then have them come right back into my wake as the two wakes converge. When I do it correctly, bing, bang, boom, they are airborne and I like the fact that they typically fall into the path of the wake behind me.

I could tow people all day long -- there are few places I would rather be!

I will be there tomorrow -- which is why I think I can't stay off the forum today!

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man...I just figured out that exact same thing last season. Kind of a horseshoe or omega trajectory? Sounds like so much fun right now. None of my friends have had the guts to get in the water yet up here. It's still on the chilly side, but warming up quickly. Our seasons are so short in the first place. Stupid global warming hasn't helped a bit yet this year!

At any rate I gotta get crackin on this new tube...hopefully get one ordered and in my hands by next week.

a70eliminator

Captain

My first tube was one of those doughnut hole ones, it was fun to ride butt in the hole, leggs out front, leaning back till the back of my head almost touching the water, arms straight back over my head, no need to hold on to anything just concentrate on keeping my butt in the hole, that was just my gig and usually got bucked off pretty fast but that was the fun part for me.

My next tube was the Sportstuff Chariot Warbird II, it's a huge pain in the rear to transport when not in use, it's bulky even when deflated, in use it's very stable and forced extractions are nearly impossible, has a nice canopy option for adults just tooling along relaxing, the kids act like it doesn't bounce them around enough because It seems like they're always manually tying to get it bouncing and shifting their weight side to side without much action, and when they do fall off it's on purpose and we found it impossible get back onto without help from the boat.

I bought a new tube last fall and haven't had it out yet to trial, it's a Airhead Big Slice, I like the low profile taper at rear so kids can climb back on after being tossed, unlike the Warbird that requires help from the boat each time and that gets to be a pain, also it's not quite so huge and heavy to stow, it's a flat bottom and I can't wait to try it out, but in all, all I have to say the plain ol doughnut hole one was best so far.

TheChugBoat

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought a new tube last week for $99.99 from West Marine. It's called the "Wake Slider" and so far every person that has rode it loves it. Best tubing experience so far from every person.

Everyone seems to like how you can control the tube. So far everyone has been on their stomach and held onto the handles. It has "wings" towards the back that allow better control of the tube. Barrell rolls are much easier to perform also. Check it out.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just my 2 cents worth.

We used to buy the expensive name brand tubes. We learned one thing. They pop and go flat just like the cheap ones.
Now we pretty much just go to Wlly World and get what they carry. We learned one thing. They bounce up in the air and throw you around just like the expensive ones.

Jorgy

Cadet

I bought a 2 person Airhead Slice from Meijer here in Michigan this spring on sale for 70 bucks (99.99 regular price) and it's been great!! I was kinda unsure about "cheapin out" but the thing has already paid for itself in fun. Has a full canvas construction with 4 nice, big handles and a neoprene center mat to keep your skin off the nylon canvas. The only issue I seem to be having is it's really easy to suck it underwater on start-off if the tuber doesn't have their weight way back on the tube. This may be operator error, but once up on plane the thing is a blast. As the driver, I can say it is both fun to pull and ride on. These big flat platform tubes just fly when you get that wake interception just right :D I thrashed my younger teenage brothers on this thing all last weekend. I'm sure they're still sore as @#&$ today.

Not worth developing a separate thread, but if anyone has a suggestion for the "submarining" issue, plz hit me back.

Adam

haulnazz15

Captain

Most tubes have a tendency to submarine if someone's weight is too far forward. There are only 2 ways to combat the problem: the easiest = tell them to lean back when first starting out; the more expensive/difficult = have an attachment point higher on the boat's transom or ski pole. The higher angle of pull will lift the front of the tube out of the water more but it's really not worth the trouble.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most tubes have a tendency to submarine if someone's weight is too far forward. There are only 2 ways to combat the problem: the easiest = tell them to lean back when first starting out; the more expensive/difficult = have an attachment point higher on the boat's transom or ski pole. The higher angle of pull will lift the front of the tube out of the water more but it's really not worth the trouble.

Ditto