Just when I thought everything was running great (Trim Died!)

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you happen to have noticed all my other threads, you'll know I had to work on my motor to get it running after 2 years of storage, i had to really scrub the boat top to bottom, I repainted the boat's stripe after about 26 years so it looks pretty sharp. I had the boat running in my driveway and finally it was ready to go. So I brought it up New Hampshire, threw it in today, and after lowering the trim, and going for one boat ride, the trim kind of died. Well, it died. Now the motor is in it's fully down position, which sucks for top speed.

So when you hit the trim button, up or down, it makes a horrible loud noise, almost sounds like the boat's horn. Its nearly as loud too. Theres a nice oil slick along the shore so I assume I already lost all my trim oil. UGH.

So, first question is, how the hell do I get the motor up when it comes time to take the boat out of the water?.

Second question, how much does it cost to get this fixed? This happened once before to this boat, probably about 10 years ago. I guess the trim motor doesn't shut off when it reaches the max up or down. So if you hold the trim button, it will just bust right through it's own seals and destroy itself.

Third, is this a do-it-yourself repair? What is involved in doing the repair myself? If someone can gimme the details, I'll decide if it's something I want to mess with or not.

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Just when I thought everything was running great (Trim Died!)

What kind of motor is it (Year and HP)? Replacement motors for some Mercs are avail ($200) from ARCO and others. There are likely some cylinder rebuild kits avail as well.

l008com

Early or Mid 90's, 90HP motor. We got it used so we don't know exactly how old it is.

l008com

OK well turns out the motor is much older than I thought it was.
It's a 1989 Mercury 90HP 3 cyl
Sooo anyone know just what needs to be done here? And how to do it? Like I said in my first post, I could use a good idea on how to actually get the boat out of the water. Maybe gun it in reverse?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Look on the crowleymarine.com website and see if any cylinder repair kits are avail. Look on the ARCo web site and see if any replacement motors are avail. See if you can run the trim up and lift the motor by hand. If so, block it up somehow. There may be a manual release on the PTT unit. A service manual will tell you this, as well as how to remove the PTT motor and service the PTT cylinders.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

There should be a manual release screw on the right side of the pump below the trim motor. You should be able to access it through a hole in the motor mount bracket. loosen it about 3 turns and you'll be able to lift the motor by hand.

Do not run the motor with the release unscrewed.

l008com

I have a question. The very very loud noise the trim makes when you try to use it (it sounds almost just like the boat's horn, and just about as loud). Does that mean it definitely needs a new motor, or would the motor make that sound if the problem was something hopefully cheaper to fix, like simply a fluid leak where all the hydraulic fluid leaked out?

l008com

OK so I was out boating today and I think I misdiagnosed this problem. Now I'm thinking I don't have a trim fluid problem at all. I think I have a bad trim motor, and a regular oil leak. I took the cover off today and the motor was definitely dripping oil. The oil level seemed plenty high still though. I've looked online and the trim motors were pretty expensive. As far as an oil leak, I wouldn't even know where to begin, I think that one is beyond my abilities to fix myself. Thoughts?

l008com

Does anyone have a photo of these release screw. I'm going to take the boat out of the water saturday (hopefully) aaaaand getting the motor up will be tough.

BoobieBouncer

Seaman Apprentice

143dj0j.jpg

Turn the control knob full in (clockwise)

(Not the best picture, the knob is blocked by the wire)

l008com

So turns out the manual release was this plastic screw that after 25 years, was pretty much fused. So my marine mechanic came down and drilled it out so now the engine is free.

But he insisted that the boat is useable now. With the engine free to move up and down. He said it wouldn't be any problem. That sure does contradict what was said in this thread, which was never to use the boat with the trim manual release, released.

l008com

Also, is there a way to remove the trim motor and kinda "hot wire" it to see if it's the problem, kind of like you can do with a starter?

l008com

OK SO here's the update on this problem. This boat mechanic came and fixed the oil leak, and was going to look into the trim system. He told me that basically I need a whole new trim system and he was going to try to fine one. He kept telling me he was going to call me back but I haven't heard from him so I'm kind of giving up on him. I don't know exactly what he did, but I do know that the manual trim release had to be drilled out, and now theres a big hole there. I know that trim stopped working early in the season and made a very loud noise when you tried to activate it, sounded kind of like a horn. And I know that whatever he did, while it did get my motor UP so i could take the boat out of the water, it cause a LOT of trim fluid to leak out, and it is still leaking out now.

Am I over my head trying to repair this myself, or do you guys think you can talk me through this repair? If you guys think it's do-able, I might kill this thread and start a fresh one from scratch.