Which length outboard?

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 21 foot boat pictured below.

3614225541_d44aa6fd2d.jpg

I have a short Mercury "classic 50" on it at the moment. I mean short as in its short in the lower unit.

i would like to know if its possible to put a outboard on it with a "long" lower unit.

Is this possible? I am guessing no. Just long lower units are so much easier to come by and I want to put like a 75/90HP on it.

3525793561_419904e839.jpg

0369248519.jpg

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Which length outboard?

If that is the outboard lower end in the first pic you have the right length on her now.

It would help a lot if you would use inches and measurements. Your description is very confusing.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

I guess you've already figured this out but the three most popular shaft lengths are 20,25 & 30. Sooooooooo, just measure your transom and see if a longer one will work.
In theory your cavitation plate should be level with the bottom. You want water running under it, not over it.

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry for the confusing post. I only got in to boating since moving to sweden, so I don't know the English terms for half the bits and pieces. thanks for your help!

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's the thing, I guess the cavitation plate will be too deep in the water. Is There a way to lift up the motor, or am I just making a mess of it then.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Look up Jack Plate ;)

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right great! Just need to find Jack plate in Swedish and I am good to go. Man if I had known about different size outboards when I bought the thing, ah wel, you live and you learn.

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My biggest issue is that I have no real trascom to speak of. it is very very short indeed.

As pictured:

0369248519.jpg

will be nearly impossible to fit:

construction56.jpg

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does there exist a jackplate that sits on the trascom? and then is heightened from there? Just i feel My trascom is too small to be bolting too?

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This wont wash will it? It says it can bear weight of up to 80kg, (130lbs) Which about the weight of my motor. hot damn I don't think they really sell decent jackplates in sweden!