Trouble shoot my starting problem please

kriphead

Cadet
90hp 1990/1989 Mariner 2srtoke 3cylinder outboard with electric start.

background:
I ran out of gas one day and hooked up the engine to a new tank. I know it takes a while for the flow, but kept trying to start the engine with no spark.

I then suddenly realized that the minus on the starter battery was really really hot as it had melted the end of my minus wire to the fishfinder.

The larger cable ends to the engine were fine, but a little warm.

I waited a few minutes and tried starting again, but this time absolutely nothing happened.

Troubleshot this:
Engine runs fine if using rip cord and key in run position.
Starter works, as I have tried to put a piece of metal between the 2 larger connectors on the starter solenoid and it starts the engine like before problems occured.

Now I am not sure if it is the solenoid or the actual key ignition which is the sinner? Although the connections do not look new, I do not think corrosion is the issue.

How do I find out if the Solenoid or key switch is faulty?

Is there a way to measure if the final turn with the key from run to start position is being registered?

Thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Trouble shoot my starting problem please

The very FIRST thing to do is to clean and tighten BOTH ENDS of BOTH battery cables.

Before you even get to the ignition switch start looking for the Man Fuse which should be on the engine near the starter relay, this fuse comes off the main battery cable and powers the ignition switched accessories and the starter. Hopefully, cranking a long time just blew this fuse. As for melting the ground wire to your fish finder, you may have a problem with the FF.

The ignition switch is really two separate switches, one side grounds the ignition when OFF to kill spark, the other side switches power on for accy's and the starter. If it ain't broke..........

kriphead

Cadet

Hi,

I have done the simple things like cleaning terminals etc. The fuse is checked and fine. I have no problem lowering or raising the engine, and this require the fuse.

I measure 12V directly on the solenoid, however not sure how to measure if the start motion of the key works? How can I measure using a voltmeter if there is sent signal to the solenoid to start? Is that the smaller wires on the side or somthing? Can I measure directly on the ignition switch if it works properly?

I assume that ther is a way to measure the difference from the run position of the key to the start position (the position that activates the starter to turn the flywheel).

When the motor is running, I am also able to kill it by turning the key or choke, so those are working I think.

Thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The small yellow wire with the red stripe located on the side of the starter solenoid is the trigger wire from the ignition switch, this wire also goes through a neutral safety switch in the shift control.

Try using a short piece of wire and jump from the large battery lug on the solenoid to the yellow w/red wire, if the starter engages then you'll know that the solenoid is good and your problem is elsewhere.

Make DOUBLE SURE that the ignition is turned OFF and in Neutral to prevent injury from starting the motor dry and to yourself from a spinning prop.

kriphead

Cadet

I know this is late, but thanks for the advice. I hate when people never come back and tell if they solved the problem, so here goes: I did as you said and found that the solenoid was bad. I replaced it, and everything works great again. I hope this might help others.