1976 mercury 85 HP

zinc

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
This is a first for me, so here I go.
I've pulled wrench for a while so I am not totally lost,"BUT",
After looking in the shop manuals and reading these great forums,
I wonder if somebody would tell me what the hose that connects to the intake manifold just behind both carbs and then has a little hose that comes from the lower part of the manifold just behind lower carb ,and then goes to the lower part of the cowl.
I am assuming its some kind of drain?:confused:
Any input would be great
thank you:D

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 mercury 85 HP

Your motor is really two two-cylinder motors, sharing a block.

The 3/8" hose that connects two brass nipples on the crankcase cover is a balance tube. Each two cylinders has a sealed crankcase, and the tube allows gas/air to go between in a controlled fashion. The 3/32" hose connects the lower main bearing thru a one way valve to the upper main bearing. Any oil that accumulates in the lower crankcase is pumped up to lubricate the upper main bearing.

zinc

Seaman Apprentice

Thank You!:D

I was going to cap it off with rubber nipples, but since there is a need
for it, I'll just leave that alone:redface:, also I did replace the 3/32 inch hose
with a new, old was cracked, so that upper bearing should be getting
lube now,
Thanks again:cool:

big all

Recruit

hi im new to this site i was wonding if eny body could tell me how to get the prop of my 76 85hp merc im good with tools but i cant get it of i tryed useing a puller it wont move enything would help

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer

So I'm going to assume that you have bent down the tabs on the locking washer and removed the prop nut. You may try tilting the motor up and letting some Liquid Wrench soak in. You normally dom't need a prop puller if the propshaft has been greased properly. The prop should just slide off.
but if it has corroded to the shaft that is another story. You have to make sure you are using the correct prop puller. The incorrrect one will pull the prop right off the hub leaving the hub still on the shaft. In SEVERE cases
I have had to cut it off. VERY CAREFULLY!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

All, After soaking the splines with some penetrating oil, I recommend you use a 2X4 to try to pry the prop off. Put it between the gearcase and the prop blade and give it some pressure. Rotate prop and repeat.

If that doesn't work, the prop puller is the way to go.

big all

Recruit

thanks for the info i did get a puller it dient work i ended up cuting it of it was the puller woudent do it it had ben on there ten years or beter o and do u know is there a tool to take the lower unit apart after i took the prop of i still cant get it apart to chang the shifting fork

big all

Recruit

what do u think what is the best prop to get what pitch 3 or 4 blade i want the most bang for the buck

Moody Blue

Captain

what do u think what is the best prop to get what pitch 3 or 4 blade i want the most bang for the buck

Hey big all, best to start your own thread so others and yourself can keep track of your specific problems without getting mixed with others posts.

As for the most bang for your buck, a manual should be the first thing you invest in. It will help you immensely.