Removing the boat from the trailer.

WTR4FUN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I own a 2001 Monterey Edge 180 that weighs approx. 2000lbs dry. I would like to re-paint my trailer this winter, but am unsure how to remove the boat from the trailer and properly support the boat once removed. Any advise on this would be appreciated.

thanks

devildog11

Cadet
Re: Removing the boat from the trailer.

I would say go to a local marina and have them take it off for you and put it on stands or put the boat in moore it for a few days and paint it while its still nice.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are you going to spray it? if not you can do it with the boat on there. I have done two of them using brushes/foam rollers and satin oil paint and they both turned out quite nice. If spraying it would be way easier to float the boat for a few days and have it done then just reload the boat. Getting the boat off and building stands/blocking is going to be twice as much work as painting the trailer. Maybe a local boat shop could sling it for you for a few days while you paint, and only charge a minimum for rigging and storage.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

with a busted axle under my 24' boat and no means of getting heavy equipment to it without ruining my side yard i did the following: bought 4- 8' R.R. ties, cut them into 24" pieces (ruined 1 chainsaw) dropped the trailer jack full down, placed the ties port & stbd. under the rear of boat under transom and sides....raised trailer jack full up...inserted ties under bow...moved trailer forward enough to reposition blocks further back...moved trailer again and again to the point where the boat was fully supported by blocks and i was able to roll trailer from under boat...yes its a pain in the butt...alot of work, but the deal worked...

timrod

Cadet

I have my 2160 bayliner hardtop on blocks right now!!!The time it took was 20 mins ,after i got a 4x6x12 set them on two 30 gallon drums lowered my tounge to the ground .Then blocked the rear with blocks ,and rised the boat in the bow as high as i could get it .The boat was off of trailer ,slide the 4x6x8 uder the bo eye on the drums and let down and pull trailer from under the boat !! Dont for get to put blocks under the keel .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Getting Boat Off Trailer

you don't need stands.

1/you can lower the tongue to the ground. i would get some 6x6 or old railroad crossties cut the +- 12 inches, now block up the transom. 2/

Raise the tongue of the trailer the back of trailer will drop away from trailer. this is the tricky part. between the cross braces of the trailer block the keel lower trailer, boat will be suspended on the blocks.

3/ pull forward, lift bow again, and reblock i a different place. repeat until trailer is out from under the boat.

4/ to reload, just reverse the procedure.

if you were just working on the bunks, or painting the bottom. you could just do the first 2 steps.

WTR4FUN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks everyone for the useful information.

divimon2000

Seaman

For my lighter 18' sailboat (and my engineless project (1100lbs) I placed some tires on the ground, tied the boat hooks to tree, drove out from under. Make sure soft landing for bow (more tires). To put it back on back into boat, connect winch line, winch car-less trailer under boat. I did have rollers on one trailer. Too fun.:eek:

leoo24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Getting Boat Off Trailer

you don't need stands.

1/you can lower the tongue to the ground. i would get some 6x6 or old railroad crossties cut the +- 12 inches, now block up the transom. 2/

Raise the tongue of the trailer the back of trailer will drop away from trailer. this is the tricky part. between the cross braces of the trailer block the keel lower trailer, boat will be suspended on the blocks.

3/ pull forward, lift bow again, and reblock i a different place. repeat until trailer is out from under the boat.

4/ to reload, just reverse the procedure.

if you were just working on the bunks, or painting the bottom. you could just do the first 2 steps.

i used this method on my 4,500lb boat, except that i used a beam to hold the bow up, resting on two pillars wider than the trailer and slipped the trailer right from under the boat. worked a treat :)