I am new to this forum and boating? Just bought a 1973 Fiber Craft boat

Brad.C

Recruit
I have just bought a 1973 Fiber Craft and I am trying to find out some information about it. I am new to this forum and boating?

Semper Fi,

Brad

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I am new to this forum and boating? Just bought a 1973 Fiber Craft boat

Thank you for your service Marine! Welcome aboard also. You will find some good info here along with some great people who share a passion for boating. About your boat, you can ask Google or Yahoo if they know of any sites that are specific to your boat. Probably wont find much, maybe a old brochure add. The best thing to do with a boat that old, no matter how "solid" she feels is to crawl all over her and look for rot spots. I am sure you will find some. Be especially curious around the transom if its an outboard. Search the words "core samples" or "how do I take core samples" and give that a go before you start using the boat heavily. Hope everything turns out good. If not, there is plenty of help and info here to cover any repair you may come up against. Semper Fi!

Brad.C

Recruit

Thank you for your service Marine! Welcome aboard also. You will find some good info here along with some great people who share a passion for boating. About your boat, you can ask Google or Yahoo if they know of any sites that are specific to your boat. Probably wont find much, maybe a old brochure add. The best thing to do with a boat that old, no matter how "solid" she feels is to crawl all over her and look for rot spots. I am sure you will find some. Be especially curious around the transom if its an outboard. Search the words "core samples" or "how do I take core samples" and give that a go before you start using the boat heavily. Hope everything turns out good. If not, there is plenty of help and info here to cover any repair you may come up against. Semper Fi!
Thank you very much! The deck is pretty solid with a few spots here and there. The transom is in good shape from what I can tell. My son-in-law and I went in together to buy the boat. We took some patched up all the holes from the seats snd gave the deck and it a paint job. The hull is in really good shape. This winter we will tearing out the old deck and replacing it with a new one. I have a question about stringers as another topic.

My plan for the deck is to use these products:

Marine plywood or equal or composite
PVC Shower Pan line as a waterproof barrier
fiberglass
paint

Semper FI,

Brad

chrishayes

Hmmm, never heard of the shower pan liner idea. I dont think fiberglass would be a good thing to lay over that. Hell, I havent seen a lot of things. Let us know how that works. In the meantime, post some pictures and really, do the core samples. I promise you will be glad you did. Just go easy til you know the full extent of the boats shape.

Brad.C

Recruit

Okay! I wil post some pictures of the boat on Monday.

Semper Fi,

Brad

chrishayes

Look forward to it. You will find that without pictures(we are junkies) most will view your threads but not make comments...